or Connect

Posts by Nick V.

From the amount of wear you described it sounds like the toplift needs to be replaced. Most likely, the lift is separating from the base on the inside border but, if you look at the rear outside border I suspect the lift is worn to the base (which is normal for that amount of wear). A picture would confirm my suspicion.
Quote: Originally Posted by Nick V. Pictures would help. But, if you can't, try this: Heat up a black crayon, rub into the gouge. Take the back of a spoon, with your thumb rub the effected area until smooth. Polish. If you can't get to a reputable cobbler, cement the loose area with rubber cement, let dry and try above.
Pictures would help. But, if you can't, try this: Heat up a black crayon, rub into the gouge. Take the back of a spoon, with your thumb rub the effected area until smooth. Polish.
It's the cork footbed and leather insole that creates the ability for the inside bottom of the shoe to mold to the bottom of your foot. Think of it like stepping in damp sand. You will notice under your big toes, your toe crest and, ball of your foot a dramatic impression. Although AE shoes will mold much more subtle than when you step in sand, it's the same idea. Therefore, used shoes (unless they were not worn enough to take shape) will not be comfortable to the second...
Bring them to a reputable cobbler. Have them install back liners and stitch it closed.
The heels are spent. Look at the upper left corner, you can see that the leather is gone to the rubber inlay. Press down in the center of the sole. Is it soft, spongy? I suspect it is. If so, bring them to your local cobbler and have them resoled. They are not Goodyear welted. Look where the sole is stitched. It's not through the welt. The soles are stitched to the bottom of the upper. That's Blake (or McKay) stitched. What they have is a "dummy...
Ditto above. However, my daughter is a soph. in college. She rakes in unbelievable $ in sales commissions (womens clothing). Here are her "go to" sources: www.luckymag.com. www.instyle.com. Good luck, you'll need it!
Quote: Originally Posted by distinctive Nick, could you share another fact of how you restore cordovan? Perhaps the other Nick could chime in as well. Shell cordovan is vegetable tanned not chrome tanned. This means that their is a large amount of oil and wax within the skin. Therefore it is not necessary to polish often nor use heavy coats of wax polish. Simply brush and cloth them off as needed. This will remove scuffs and restore the...
This was just announced: http://www.martymathis.com/trunk-show-2009/
Among other things.....that's not a hidden stitch