or Connect

Posts by Nick V.

Quote: Originally Posted by dopey I just picked up a pair of shoes that had been resoled. The soles were branded: "Samson Oak", with a little acorn, in a circle. Surrounding the circle was "Highest Quality" and "Oak Tanned Sole Leather". Below that is written "Prime Fibre, 12 Iron Up, Extra Large, Made in U.S.A. Who can tell me about these soles? I have never heard of Samson Oak and internet search yields nothing. BTW, the soles are pretty...
This is one of the things that irks me about my industry. Many of the operators are penny wise and dollar foolish. They also think that the public is stupid. For instance, they will save money on materials and buy cheep garbage which won't look, feel or, wear well. When the customers complain they (the owner) become arrogant. I have had many discussions with these types. I have tried over and over again to explain that it's this attitude that gives our industry a bad...
Trunk Show October 29th, 2009 Rider Boot Co. founder Ron Rider rolls back into the Big Apple on Thursday November 5th, 11 am - 7 pm for a new show at Leffot. Ron pulls out all the stops when it comes to samples, leathers and colors. If you're a boot guy you won't want to miss it. Posted in News & Events | No Comments »
A reputable repair shop should have no problem stripping them. Have them polish them in neutral after stripping.
Quote: Originally Posted by distinctive Nick, what is your relationship with Leffot or G & G? Being in the shoe business I am very interested in both retail and repair. I know people in all aspects. We get called upon from very prestigious makers (some are mentioned in SF if not every day a few times a week) to do repairs that were rejected by their factories. I went to Leffot for the first time a few months ago. I had heard great things about...
I prefer Dainite. Here's why: 1. They offer great traction. 2. They are made of superior rubber. I have seen variations of the commando sole. They are not all equal in quality. 3. They last longer than any commando sole I have seen. 4. They are made by Dainite. Any soles with a similar pattern that are not stamped "Dainite" could be imitations. 5. They have been "time tested" for over 100 years. 6. IMO they are dresser looking. 7. As stated in an earlier post,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Man Of Lint I've already tried this on my own pair of TOD's. The new soles peeled within 24 hours. Can you give your own specific experiences that had positive results? Another way to go (on the TOD's) is: Sand down the dimples, McKay stitch a leather sole and, add a slight heel of approx. 1/4 inch.
Events Gaziano & Girling Trunk Show Please join us Thursday October 15th from 10 am – 5 pm as Dean Girling presents Gaziano & Girling’s latest ready to wear and Bespoke collections. Trunk shows are a fantastic opportunity to see shoe samples first hand and ask questions directly to the manufacturer. Dean be will be happy to answer your questions, and we will be happy to offer guidance and take your...
Much appreciated. Thanks for sharing.
Yes....a competent cobbler will sand down whats left of the original sole and apply a new one.