or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by Nick V.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bluenotes I recently purchased my first pair of Aldens. Calfskin, black, 910s. Beautiful. However, the left shoe is a bit more snug on the wider part of the foot. Not quite uncomfortable, but very, very noticeable. Is this normal for Alden? Should the shoe fit like a glove right away, or should it be a bit tighter to form more soundly to the foot? Any guidance would be great. Not sure if I should I return the shoe for...
Quote: Originally Posted by Fishball Like that? Heavy duty on the hardware. Shoe piercings??
Quote: Originally Posted by furo Most decent cobblers should be able to procure the tan colored topy material if they don't have it on hand Not sure about the other stuff; I haven't tried taps since the topy does the job This is true. However, the reason you usually see darker colored sole guards is, cobblers normally follow the color of the soles edge. After applying the sole guards the edges need to be inked in order to match. Depending...
Quote: Originally Posted by hymo My gait causes the toe tips of the soles of my shoes to wear out alarmingly fast. I had one of my shoes Topy'd very nicely, but I was wondering if I should use toe taps for the others instead, since I can see that a Topy strains the welting quite a bit. Shoe manufacturers all seem negative about Topys, but they never seem to say anything about toe taps. What are your experiences? It's strictly a matter...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ich_Dien Best to alternate. Although wax will seal the leather, it does protect it from moisture such as rain or puddles. Strip the wax off and apply cream every two weeks or so. Even better would be to apply leather conditioner. I understand your point. That's certainly an option. However, you can always use a safe waterproof spray on a regular basis. This way you can avoid the process of occasionally having to...
Quote: Originally Posted by mitocho When I bought my John Lobbs, the salesperson implored me never to use wax. He told me shoe cream only. He said using creme instead of wax would prolong the life of my shoes for years. The dude sounded like he knew what he was talking about, so I've followed his advice. I would agree. Your skin restores it's own moisture naturally. In cold, damp conditions it's necessary to use creams/lotions to keep your...
Quote: Originally Posted by Grayland Nick, When you mention sole guards, are you talking about "topys" - a thin piece of "rubber" glued to the bottom of the shoe, or do you have something different in mind? Yes "Topy" is a brand name. One of several brands that make sole guards. I happen to like Vibram (the ones imported from Italy).
A competent repair shop can add a back liner to correct the damage in the heel area. They can also patch the toe area if necessary. They simply take a piece of thin kid skin, shape it over sized to fit over the worn area, thin out the edges so you won't feel it and, cement it in place.
Quote: Originally Posted by BareSolid How does one go about stripping off wax after a long period of polishing without damaging the leather underneath? I assume something like nail polish remover will be used? The product we use is called "Afta". I've mentioned it here before. Very effective product. Safe, but excellent at breaking down waxes/oils. Also, it's versatile for household use (furniture, carpets). Nail polish remover is way to...
Quote: Originally Posted by constant struggle Question for all you experts out there, is there any reason to use leather conditioner if you already use shoe cream? Will shoe cream provide adequate moisturizing? Someone please clarify! Conditioner (Lexol) is a thinner consistency. Therefore it penetrates deeper into the pores of the leather. It's a good idea to apply a coat or two of conditioner and work it into the grain. Allow the leather...
New Posts  All Forums: