or Connect

Posts by Nick V.

Quote: Originally Posted by upnorth Your assumption on the risk free rate using non-gemmed shoes is faulty. When thousand year old mummies were found, the leather around them had already rotted and disintegrated while the linen wrapping the corpse under the sarcophagus still remained mostly intact. Going by that, the feather used in shoe making made from textile may not be as weak as one would imagine. In fact, textile is also used in non-gemmed...
Quote: Originally Posted by theyare Just walked by - the storefront, sign is up outside with "opening soon" signs... hopefully the abercrombie smell doesn't penetrate the entire store & stock. I heard they were opening at the end of the month.
I love my Weil. Sleek, dependable never take it off, it takes a beating and never fails. Much more reliable than the Rolex I bought her.
Quote: Originally Posted by Kurt N There's an Alden video there--also interesting, goofball choice of music notwithstanding. But I couldn't find an Allen-Edmonds one. OOPS! Posted in the wrong thread...SORRY!
You can find a new version at: www.leffot.com
Quote: Originally Posted by onix Nick, I am not quite sure about the using of suede also. However, it doesn't hurt giving it a try. Speaking from your expertise, do you recommend any other materials? Regarding removing, it's quite easy actually. I did put a piece in a wrong orientation. And I can remove it using baby oil. I don't have much insight on this one. Only, if you are going to stick with leather (suede) the tighter the grain...
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett Nick at B. Nelson did this for me on a pair of C&Js which needed it badly (I wear out the toes way too fast) and he did an incredible job..even stitched the leather toe tap in, so after wearing a few times it doesn't even look like any "surgery" was done. He did it very quickly, too...maybe in a day. Nick does really really good work. Thanks for the kind words Johnny. However, I would like to...
Quote: Originally Posted by furo +1 I love how the morality of factory shoes has popped into the mix. By the way, here's a few pics of a local boot factory that I walked through, which typically has 20 or so workers in it: (pics courtesy of jbhilltexas.com) So there's your factory shoe (boot in this case). So tell me, DW and agoelesina, what corners are being cut? ....Since of course, you've been to every shoe/boot...
Quote: Originally Posted by voxsartoria Evening update so far: 1. Just picked up sweet Celtics tickets at silent auction. 2. Posted crying Indian painting in an iammatt thread. 3. Was worried briefly that Saint Crispin's were about to explode, despite hand make. Turns out, there was some rubbery hors d'Å“uvre someone lost stuck to one sole. So, so far, so good. Will post again if any new shoe developments occur this evening. -...
Quote: Originally Posted by Leather man Is that true even if they are cemented soles as I suspect being Russel and Bromley ?( once a very good shoe shop by the way but gone the way of all flesh - fashion first quality second) Sure...we do it all the time. In fact, when shoes come in that are cemented we ask the customer if they would prefer us to stitch the new soles on. It's their option. We do it with a Geneva machine.