or Connect

Posts by Nick V.

No, we do it because it works.I learned about the process 3.5 decades ago. After witnessing tens of thousands of pair that we stretched over that time. I'm happy to report I have not received one complaint concerning how the "joint relative to the heel" was impacted.Given the time-tested track record that I experienced it would be ignorant on my part to stop offering the service because of one person's view. Just as it would be foolish on your part to stop doing something...
Unbelievable.....2010 was a record year for us. We almost hit that total already in 011. With typically our best quarter about to begin it's safe to say, either I can “grow, learn and, excel” or, I'm just lucky. Enlighten me because I'm to ignorant to figure it out.Some see machines as doing the Devil's work. I invest in machinery, only the best and, very expensive, in order to accommodate my customer's demands. I know their capabilities. I'm also very aware of the damage...
I simply responded to your sarcastic remark about gas mileage (you know, the gizmo) in my own sarcastic way. Sorry, that you took it so seriously. While I respect and admire your 40 years of "hands-on" shoe making experience I also weigh my own experiences. Happens to be they are more valuable to me. That added to me being third generation is well over 90 years of learning. Still willing to learn more and, will never know it all.I never said stretching the length could...
Then again, we recently stretched the length on a pair of Jermaine O'Neal's (Boston Celtics) and Joe Gibbs (former Head Coach of the Skins) shoes. I'm told they both were very happy with the results. But after 35 years, What do I know?My truck doesn't have a carburetor but, if you got something that will give me real gas mileage results.......I'll listen.
Have several of these: http://www.shoesystemsplus.com/cam80stretcher.html They work pretty well.
Excellent, excellent point Sir--Exactly why when people ask me what I do for a living, They fret and say "that's a dying art". Yes, it's perceived that way but, I see it in a reverse way. There is a need for high-end services. We deliver to that market. I love doing it. Always strive to raise the bar. Appreciate both positive and negative feedback in order to improve. My Kids? Both have nearly 4.0 Cm's in college. One is pursuing a careerer in security. The other was...
Exactly my point...What a world we live in! Old school and new, everything in between and totally global.IMO Horns in post 40 nailed it.Just think of it, the new skins that started soaking this week @ Bakers won't be boxed for approx. 2 years!It's a time staking process that we don't endure. Yet, only enjoy the final product..Time to go into my garden and pick some tomatoes, cukes and, peppers for tonight's salad. No ferts only Canadian peat. fresh manurer and, lot's of...
Great thread. Thanks MOK and other contributors. Here's a different twist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vbTCeYwt_g&feature=related Let's keep this going.
Treat them with Saphir Renovator if you can. If not, leather lotion. Insert cedar trees. Put them in flannel bags. If you are going to box them, make sure you use a cardboard box not plastic. That will ensure breath-ability. If it's important enough to you check with a local reputable dry cleaner that offers fur storage. See if you can work out a reasonable deal with them to keep your shoes in there climate controlled area. When you return treat w/Reno or leather lotion...
I see some other potential problems the maker may be exposing himself to: 1. As eluded to, certain lasts are designed for particular styles. 2. It's common that your foot changes shape/sizes over a period of time. So, if you recently had a pair of let's say Oxfords made on your lasts and they fit correctly chances are making another pair of Oxfords won't be a problem. Going to a double monk however may present a problem. 3. If you have not had a pair of shoes made on your...