or Connect

Posts by Nick V.

Guy West was the elegant host. He showed me shoes that were made for some celebrities and named lasts after them. Moon, Plant, O'toole, Rourke to name a few. I know the styles are not mainstream to many. However, I saw several that I thought the moderate would like in their rotation. Not everyday but statements which would undoubtedly get complementary attention. Goodyear welted, well made, nice skins, cool details.
Quote: Originally Posted by DrZRM The leather seems moist and supple around the tear and everywhere else, it just has this tear, no scaling (is that the term? No cracking in the leather) or obvious reason it should get worse. I'm only in $150 on the shoe. I'll go talk to my cobbler (he's pretty good) before I send them back. If he can do something, maybe I'll keep them to wear with jeans. It won't be perfect but, a good cobbler can add a...
Quote: Originally Posted by makewayhomer the part inside the shoe that says "Alden Restoration" - what is that called? footbed? insole? A heel seat. Nice job.
Rider Boot Co. Trunk Show Ron Rider rolls back into the Big Apple this Friday and Saturday May 14th & 15th for our next show at Leffot. Ron pulls out all the stops when it comes to samples, leathers and colors. This show will be quite a treat as Ron introduces several great looking new models, many seen for the first time here. If you’re a boot guy you won’t want to miss it. Alfred Sargent Handgrade Collection We are pleased to announce our new partnership...
Quote: Originally Posted by Xiaogou Roger that. On a side note, if I send you my meager AE collection, can you change out the insole for something more comfortable? Because of the construction the insoles can not be removed.
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackhood I've done more for charity than Bono and Bob Geldoff. You see how anyone can say stuff, even if its not technically true? Your comments are without merit or basis. Since you decided to make it personal I'll respond accordingly. First, I am know-body's page boy. I have no alliance to any particular shoe company. Rather, my comments are based on 32 years of experience and relationships built over those...
Quote: Originally Posted by Xiaogou Nick, it's not the color that is an issue. Those black (newer) insoles are quite uncomfortable. There is no way that the beige insoles of 10 years ago are the same as the ones being used today. I didn't imply "that the beige insoles of 10 years ago are the same as the ones being used today". I simply responded to "youngscholer's" claim that they were not leather. The fact is, they are. I also said that...
Quote: Originally Posted by youngScholar +1. How can they say they have a commitment to quality when they won't even use a leather insole? Boy oh boy! I have to much to say for one post. So, I'll start off with this: Regarding their insoles, they are leather. They will soon be changing the color from black to a color that is closer to the color of their linings.
Here is an excerpt of a post written by Paul Grangaard, President and, CEO of Allen Edmonds. It appeared on Ron Rider's blog: "Regarding customer reactions to our quality, our largest customer by far is Nordstrom and they have a highly sophisticated ~60,000 sq ft facility in Seattle called their Nordstrom Quality Center. There they monitor retailed products(including shoes) that are returned due to quality issues, and they do their own quality assessments of...
Quote: Originally Posted by East Oakland Does the spongy rule apply on blake/rapid constructed shoes? I have a pair where it looks as thought the outer sole had worn through, but because there is still another layer of leather underneath, the sole is not at all spongy. See pic below. I suppose I should go ahead and get these resoled before the layer of leather underneath starts to get too worn? Don't wear them any longer. Do them now.