or Connect

Posts by Nick V.

Quote: Originally Posted by Fishball Nick, Since HK never snow, I don't really know how they perform on snow. However, I just wonder what make Dainite superior material to Vibram. The "Eton" sole used material called "SP", some Montagna model use the same material according to Vibram Italy catalog. The Dainite and Eton are both sold at Japan market, and I don't see any cobblers complain vibram as being inferior to dainite in terms of...
Quote: Originally Posted by redzapper For me, I think vibram is better with ice. I have a pair of upland boots with vibram soles and I use those in snow and for the icy. In all other conditions, I think the dainite sole is far superior. Yes I use these in late fall through early spring in NYC. #132 Montagna® Block Unit Sole The sole that conquered Mt. Everest remains the quality soling choice for rugged outdoor wear. Sizes:...
Fishball....you are correct. The Vibram "knock-off" of the Dainite studded sole is not available here in the U.S. Further, Vibram uses 11 studs compared to Dainite's 12. I can only speculate that that's a way around patent laws. More to the point just because the are designed to look the same does not mean they are the same. Simply put, authentic Dainite is superior material to Vibram.
Quote: Originally Posted by fritzl it took me a while, but now i'm puzzled. thought you don't use dainitie, nick? anyway. i take vibram any day and one has not to worry about channeling... We use tons of Vibram. I like most of their line but, you can't compare it to Dainite. Also, for the most part Vibram soles are cemented on and can't be stitched.
Quote: Originally Posted by emptym Thanks for letting us know it can be done. Would you charge extra for channeled dainite? I would think the channel would serve to preserve the soles for a period. The stitches definitely hit the ground after the studs wear down, which isn't that long ime. Of course, they would hit the ground even if the sole was channeled, but after several more wears than if the sole wasn't channeled. Isn't that the...
Quote: Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie Channeled is prob not important, but I think I'd definitely be happier if the thread was at least sunken further below the level of the sole. Most dainites I've seen have the thread almost flush with the rubber sole, leaving them relatively more prone to abraision than they would be if they were recessed another millimeter. Actually, it can be channeled. However, the channel serves no purpose as...
Quote: Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba Which would make it tough to keep your heel from slipping....no? 1/4 inch is safe. Some have the heels built up 1/4 inch on the inside 1/4 on the outside. This way you get a 1/2 inch that is hardly noticable.
Quote: Originally Posted by Wes Bourne Not Dainite, but similar no? Wes-- The pattern is similar but the quality is not even close. I've seen several come into the shop because the sole splits at the toe where it is stitched. That won't happen with Dainite because it's a much denser form of rubber.
Some add lifts inside the shoe.
Quote: Originally Posted by cptjeff I think AE charges the same for danite as they do for leather. AE does not offer Dainite.