or Connect

Posts by Nick V.

Quote: Originally Posted by furo +1 I love how the morality of factory shoes has popped into the mix. By the way, here's a few pics of a local boot factory that I walked through, which typically has 20 or so workers in it: (pics courtesy of jbhilltexas.com) So there's your factory shoe (boot in this case). So tell me, DW and agoelesina, what corners are being cut? ....Since of course, you've been to every shoe/boot...
Quote: Originally Posted by voxsartoria Evening update so far: 1. Just picked up sweet Celtics tickets at silent auction. 2. Posted crying Indian painting in an iammatt thread. 3. Was worried briefly that Saint Crispin's were about to explode, despite hand make. Turns out, there was some rubbery hors d'Å“uvre someone lost stuck to one sole. So, so far, so good. Will post again if any new shoe developments occur this evening. -...
Quote: Originally Posted by Leather man Is that true even if they are cemented soles as I suspect being Russel and Bromley ?( once a very good shoe shop by the way but gone the way of all flesh - fashion first quality second) Sure...we do it all the time. In fact, when shoes come in that are cemented we ask the customer if they would prefer us to stitch the new soles on. It's their option. We do it with a Geneva machine.
Here's a way to settle this debate (if the participants are willing): We select a member of the forum that has a prestigious shoe collection. Someone that we agree would be unbiased and has vast knowledge of footwear. We all chip in to have DWFII make him a pair of shoes or boots. DWFII posts pics along the way. This way we can actually see the details described that are unseen in the final product. Upon completion the member compares the look, feel, and, fit to...
The comments about the bottom stain are correct. A competent cobbler can easily resole those shoes.
Barchi is moving next door to me in mid March. Don't know much about him but Simon seems to be a nice guy. From what I understand he is the exclusive bespoke tailor for Turnbull & Asser on East 57th. He will be making custom made shirts and carrying Italian made shirts and ties. If you need any more information, let me know, I'll ask him tomorrow.
Quote: Originally Posted by haganah silly question, but i assume you put these on when the sole is new and replace every time you re-sole, correct? and how long does it take to do? (ie can I stop by and get it done or is it a couple of days) New or lightly worn for best value. We prefer that you dropped them off. Here is a link posted by an AAAC member. That explains why we prefer to have some time to do the...
To answer a few questions. It's not necessary to have the sole guards. With or without them the toe pieces will flush to the surface when finished. They are $35.00 per pair OTC. Add $15.00 S&H for mail in orders. Two reasons they are not loud. As mentioned they are flush mounted also since they are screwed on they are much tighter. Added, because of the way they are applied it's nearly imposible to kick them off.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks to my friend Wes Bourne from SF (who volunteered to help me translate to French) the metal toe pieces finally arrived. I promised to post when they came in. Here is what they look like: This picture shows my own concept of maximum protection for longest wear. JR heel, Vibram sole guard and, metal toe pieces applied with brass screws. __________________ Nick...
Wear them a bit. If it still bothers you bring them to a reputable cobbler and have them install a pair of back liners.