or Connect

Posts by Nick V.

Meltonian Water and Stain Protector. Safe and effictive on leathers and suedes. DO NOT use a silicone based product. Silicone is oil based and tends to darken finishes.
Quote: Originally Posted by slappy Hey Nick, I just ordered some Edward green shoes from ebay. They are pretty well trashed at the moment, meaning the soles are mostly gone and part of the heel is chipped off. Also there are some stains on the leather. I know I dont have pictures at the moment so its hard to visualize, but is something you think you could fix? Ill get pictures up when I receive them sometime next week. Most likely we can....
Quote: Originally Posted by upnorth i am curious how this is done on a finished shoe. Wouldn't it involve the time consuming task of taking apart the shoe so the upper and elastics can be stitched flat? No, the shoe/boot does not need to be taken apart. Rather, the worn gore/elastic is carefully seperated from the liner and upper. A new piece is fitted then cemented and stitched into place. FYI......This process is not done on a flat...
Quote: Originally Posted by makewayhomer dumb question, but how do you know when it's time for a resole? It depends on your gait. Press down on the center of the sole with your thumb. If it feels soft or spongy it's time for a new sole. That's the most common wear pattern. Others pronate either inside or out. Look at the profile of your shoe either at the inside or outside border across from the ball of your foot. If the sole is worn thin and...
Quote: Originally Posted by fritzl fwiw, it's not strictly cosmetic... I'll explain. We pre-grove a channel around the sole before stitching. The sole is stitched in the channel. Therefore, the stitches lie below the surface of the new sole preventing them from wearing out. From my experience this is more effective for protecting the stitches than a hidden stitch. To me, a hidden stitch is simply a thin piece of leather covering the stitches....
Quote: Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH Nick is definitely the best, but I had a bit of an issue recently. I brought in a pair, and paid to get switched over from leather soles to dianite and have a new welt stitched in as well. I paid in advance, when I received the shoes not only was a new welt not put on, the old stitching wasn't pulled out and looked all knotted up in the welt area. I guess that is what I get for paying in...
Quote: Originally Posted by Brogued Yep. Back to the cleaners. Same here.
Nice production both on the shoes and the video.
Crockett & Jones opened their new Flagship Store in New York today. Great selections. 7 West 56th St. (bet. 5th & 6th). (212) 582-3800.
Quote: Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie ^ Well if you're going to point out that a mistake was made, please share what it was... To begin with the sole and sole guard were not roughed sufficently. That's going to cause delaimination. I highly doubt that a DIYer will have the nec. equipment at home to set the sole with the nec. force to set effectively. OP let us know after a few wearings in wet weather.