or Connect

Posts by Nick V.

Quote: Originally Posted by Fishball I really find it very difficult to understand Nick reasoning. As I read, the wrong price was quoted by the shop, agreed and accepted by the customer, then that is the problem of the boss and salesman, not the customer. Anyway, it shouldn't be a excuse of a bad job done. Yes, I know and agreed that a re welt is not needed on the normal resole, and I don't think the OP ask for it. The problem is the cobbler screw up...
I would be remiss not to respond. We are a labor-intense business. Labor = human beings. None of are perfect and I never professed to be. When something goes wrong we do our best to address it in a reasonable, fair and, practical manner. I constantly monitor our work and service compared to my industries'. I realize it's in my best interest to compare objectively with an open mind. If I see a way to improve...I will. To my eye and knowledge I have never seen a shop...
Quote: Originally Posted by KObalto Is this what you're talking about, Nick? Looks like it's called Guardsman now: http://www.jensco.com/thekitchendraw...mover4002.html That's correct. I heard they had to change the formula slightly. With that they changed the name just recently.
Try some Afta. That usually works. Condition/polish after the Afta dries.
Quote: Originally Posted by Fishball Nick, Since HK never snow, I don't really know how they perform on snow. However, I just wonder what make Dainite superior material to Vibram. The "Eton" sole used material called "SP", some Montagna model use the same material according to Vibram Italy catalog. The Dainite and Eton are both sold at Japan market, and I don't see any cobblers complain vibram as being inferior to dainite in terms of...
Quote: Originally Posted by Fishball Nick, Since HK never snow, I don't really know how they perform on snow. However, I just wonder what make Dainite superior material to Vibram. The "Eton" sole used material called "SP", some Montagna model use the same material according to Vibram Italy catalog. The Dainite and Eton are both sold at Japan market, and I don't see any cobblers complain vibram as being inferior to dainite in terms of...
Quote: Originally Posted by redzapper For me, I think vibram is better with ice. I have a pair of upland boots with vibram soles and I use those in snow and for the icy. In all other conditions, I think the dainite sole is far superior. Yes I use these in late fall through early spring in NYC. #132 Montagna® Block Unit Sole The sole that conquered Mt. Everest remains the quality soling choice for rugged outdoor wear. Sizes:...
Fishball....you are correct. The Vibram "knock-off" of the Dainite studded sole is not available here in the U.S. Further, Vibram uses 11 studs compared to Dainite's 12. I can only speculate that that's a way around patent laws. More to the point just because the are designed to look the same does not mean they are the same. Simply put, authentic Dainite is superior material to Vibram.
Quote: Originally Posted by fritzl it took me a while, but now i'm puzzled. thought you don't use dainitie, nick? anyway. i take vibram any day and one has not to worry about channeling... We use tons of Vibram. I like most of their line but, you can't compare it to Dainite. Also, for the most part Vibram soles are cemented on and can't be stitched.
Quote: Originally Posted by emptym Thanks for letting us know it can be done. Would you charge extra for channeled dainite? I would think the channel would serve to preserve the soles for a period. The stitches definitely hit the ground after the studs wear down, which isn't that long ime. Of course, they would hit the ground even if the sole was channeled, but after several more wears than if the sole wasn't channeled. Isn't that the...