or Connect

Posts by Nick V.

I'm not trying to disparage the factories. However, the reality is factories have a factory mentality. Whether it be new shoes or repairs. Their objective is put a shoe on the assembly line, run it through right into the box. Their are so many unqualified, incapable repair shops that damage shoes that, I believe most of the factories made a blanket decision not to touch anything that had previously been repaired by an outside shop. This does two things: 1. It prevents them...
Didn't put me on the spot at all.It's just the tone could have been interpreted as derogatory as evidenced.If you are sincere....I accept moving forward.
Yeah, right.
I have also seen other shops stitch a welt with a McKay machine. That's insane but you'd be surprised at how often I've seen it. As you know a McKay is pretty much a chain stitch.
I simply answered the question that was asked of me.Welting machines are expensive and beyond that they very hard to come by. A few years ago I was able to find one in excellent condition. Before I pulled the trigger I talked over with the guys in the shop. They didn't want it....
Yes, that's what they do. The holes are already there and are pretty much used as a guide. Holes are bored through the welt for correct alignment. Sometimes if we see a weakness we patch (support it) in the same area that the holes we in.
Oops...My bad. Apologies.
No need to "suspect". I think I've been clear and consistent from the beginning.When we replace a welt we do it by hand and lock-stitched. I understand that as well.
BINGO!! Excactly what I said some time back in this thread. I see the stitching and/or upper leather tearing far more often than the gemming fail. Just my experience though.
Good question....IMO the most important thing is using an appropriate last. One that among other things will allow the craftsman to flatten out the insole as much as possible. If the new foot-bed is applied without a smoothed out insole, nothing else matters. The foot-bed should never be patched, always removed entirely and replaced. It's not necessary to apply the foot-bed with a heat process. I suspect factories do this because it sets quicker. A good craftsman can mix...