or Connect

Posts by Nick V.

Butyl is veg. tanned then dipped in oil. The oil is what makes it more water resistant.
Yes you did. I copied and pasted this comment from you:"So the logical conclusion is that in order to benefit from topy you need to replace it immediately the "dimples" wear down--about once a month if you're walking frequently. How cost effective or "convenient" is that?"Maybe YOU should read it.If it's not a worthy product why do you offer it to your customers?Vested interest? Just another petty derogatory comment by you.I'm sure it surprises nobody here.
Just to set the record straight. This is completely inaccurate: "So the logical conclusion is that in order to benefit from topy you need to replace it immediately the "dimples" wear down--about once a month if you're walking frequently. How cost effective or "convenient" is that?" From my experience the useful purpose and intent of sole guards outlasts a leather sole (generally) 2 to 1. Sometimes more. It stands to reason if they if they didn't wear well....1. I would...
I would still like some proof/facts on how Topy's (sole guards) ruin shoes. Agreed, some cobblers botch a job for profit and, some customers are looking to cheap out.That has nothing to do with the value of them if used for they're intended purpose. Most legit cobblers in you're local can easily handle this. Establish a relationship with him. If he is good, he won't steer you wrong.
It's not my place to tell a customer what to do. However, I feel it is my responsibility to inform and sometimes educate a customer when such circumstances occur. If he insists on us doing a job that won't come out right, I refuse the job. that's my right.Our integrity and reputation is more important than any single job.
Exactly correct. Any cobbler that would risk damaging the integrity of a shoe by reapplying a sole guard that has been worn beyond it's intended purpose is not much of a craftsman. Nor is he interested in doing the right thing for his customer.
All due respect.....the statement was made that Topy's (sole guards) ruin shoes. I just asked HIM to support that with fact. Fair enough?
Really? Please explain using facts not opinion.I've always said it's a matter of preference and objectives.
Decades ago the top lifts were all leather. Leather wears quickly on pavement and concrete. The idea of a combination (leather/rubber) top lift came about so that the consumer would get the "feel" of walking on leather and the benefit of better wear with the rubber at the strike point of the top lift. I still have customers telling me that they like the look of the combination top lift rather than all rubber. Several have told me that when they cross their legs during a...
No dispute intended....Some like to know all of the pros and cons of their options.