or Connect

Posts by Nick V.

Apology accepted.I think you misunderstood something else as well.In post 18803 I mentioned that sole guards are not intended to be used as a patch.Further, when a customer comes in for a sole guard to be applied over a week sole (does not to necessarily have to have a hole in it), I refuse to do it. Anybody in this forum that may have shared such an experience with me will attest to my claim.
We have gone through differences of opinions on sole guards balance etc. I can only share my professional experience. I have had many customers ask how the balance will be effected after installing sole guards. I tell them that I've heard those claims before. I tell them if you are that concerned about how significant the balance will be skewed, don't do them. They almost always go ahead and have it done. On the other hand we probably average 25-30 pair of sole guards...
IMO the grade does not matter as long as you invested enough in the shoe to make it worthy of the repair. I've written before, I wouldn't put a 1/2 sole on my own shoe so, why put one on a customers?To me, a 1/2 sole equates to patch-work both to the out sole and the cork footbed. Add to that, when the sole is stitched on, the new stitching slightly overlaps the old stitching. Something I don't particularly care for.I just wanted to add, most are not aware, sole guards...
The purpose of a sole guard is to prevent the leather from wearing out. They have other advantages as well (if you are a fan of them). If you use sole guards to patch a worn sole you won't get the intended value out of them. I recommend full soles over half soles on high-grades such as C&J's.
Use fingernail polish. Carefully apply. Two coats should do it.
Thanks.......That's a really weird one. I guess, as they say, shit happens!
I've been skeptical and curious about this...Have you attempted to resolve it?Sorry if I missed posts that acknowledged said.
I would highly suggest that you try Orinda and post before and after pictures. Blind stitched and foot-bed replacement for $100.00-$150.00?YELP? They allow fraudulent remarks to stand. Then they contact you for a pay-per-click program and offer very positive results. When you ask that (ONLY) the the fraudulent comments be removed, they refuse. Many of my friends are business owners, none respect the value of YELP -nor- do any of them refer to the service for their own...
Often I hear customers say they don't plan on wearing them (their suede) in inclement weather. Then the unexpected downpour........Even more common I hear "I was at a restaurant (or bar) and something accidentally spilled om my shoes".It's better to be safe than sorry.The products mentioned are very good:Tarrago NANO ProtectorSaphir Super InvulnerHere is another effective, safe...
Super Glue will dry out the leather and make it brittle.Your much better of with rubber -or- all purpose cement. You can purchase either in small tubes.Good product(s) to have in the house.