or Connect

Posts by Nick V.

You know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Most do as well. Don't fool yourself. I quoted a response to a wrong comment.Please forgive me Grand High Mystic Ruler. Please spare me my life.Since you brought it up in many cases your professional opinion doesn't mean squat to me either simply because it's wrong and very misleading.My professional experience tells me that.....
You sir are a riot!It was your suggestion that in order to get rid of some of the b.s. that we we sort of qualify ourselves by saying something like "in my professional opinion". Or "from my professional experience".....To which I replied that I thought it was a great idea and I was on board doing it. Now I do it and you come up with this nonsense. You can't have it both ways. However in your perverted way it seems that you are above all and CAN and are ENTITLED to have it...
Chogall-- WADR....I appreciate that you have supported me in previous posts. Many times against DW. I have always shared my honest (professional) experiences with the forum. There are many differences between shoe repair and hand made shoes. That does not mean neither are not viable trades/approaches.Just different. Much of this thread is out of my realm. But, I have been following it. In all honesty DW and Myself clearly have an identity. Easy to get a hold of ourselves...
As mentioned in this thread, it all depends on your gait. I've seen the toes completely destroyed right through the welt and the rest of the sole has plenty of life left.
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post I think it is. When I was coming up, there were "half" heels, "whole" heels and 5/8 heels, IIRC. And thick rubber heels were common even on relatively high end shoes. Of course, it's cheaper to use a thick rubber heel...not only is rubber cheaper (in the short term) than leather, but building a heel stack takes longer. But stacked leather heels look so much better (oops..."IMO"). As I said in another post, a rubber outsole makes a...
The worst that happened to me was..... During my college days I worked as a part time auto mechanic. I had just finished a job and had grease on my hand. I was leaning on a door frame and slipped. Went right through a window pane. Wound severing my artery. Within minutes I almost bled out. Luckily there was a cop at the station. He reached into my arm and pinched my artery shut until the ambulance arrived. Six days later I got out of the hospital with permanent loss of...
It's been written in the past that we both enjoy woodworking.I don't laugh about how you made the first few handles. I envision it perfectly. Makes me laugh, the very things I've told my sons not to do, I did them. It's dangerous stuff. When you're doing it you're aware of the danger but, take the chance. Even lathes can be dangerous. I find them really safe to do a cork handle on a fishing rod. That's about it.What's a jet?Hazards got to me as well. I'm 10 years your...
Excellent idea. I'm certainly on board with it.Thanks for the suggestion....BTW.....DW posted an interesting article about awls today in the "Shoe-making techniques and traditions.....These foolish things". If you haven't seen it, it's worth the look.The pictures show hand tools that look like antiques. They're not, they were made new and still used today. They certainly have blood, sweat and maybe some tears on 'em.They belong in a museum some day.It's one thing to write...
WADR....I doubt that the uppers are pulled in. That would make the job cost prohibitive. I just looked at their "shoe re-crafting" video. No trace of pulling the uppers in. The cork could be a factor. I say that because the old foot-bed formed to mirror the bottom of your foot. Consequently that causes highs and lows to the insole. The new foot-bed will fill in the highs and lows.Then it is leveled. Because of that process you are left with more cork than when the shoes...
Generally, it's not that the shoes got tighter -or- changed size.It's because the new sole is more rigid than the old worn one. The rigid sole tends to pull the upper down making the shoe feel tighter.