or Connect

Posts by Nick V.

No need to "suspect". I think I've been clear and consistent from the beginning.When we replace a welt we do it by hand and lock-stitched. I understand that as well.
BINGO!! Excactly what I said some time back in this thread. I see the stitching and/or upper leather tearing far more often than the gemming fail. Just my experience though.
Good question....IMO the most important thing is using an appropriate last. One that among other things will allow the craftsman to flatten out the insole as much as possible. If the new foot-bed is applied without a smoothed out insole, nothing else matters. The foot-bed should never be patched, always removed entirely and replaced. It's not necessary to apply the foot-bed with a heat process. I suspect factories do this because it sets quicker. A good craftsman can mix...
You can see it at about 5:25 of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVihz2DbPd8
I'm not even clear on what you meant by this. I'm not that smart.Whatever....
Yeah? I had 4 stores making lots of money. Quality was going down. Ditched it all saved what I thought was the best and refocused on our product. I make less now but have more pride in our work.What's your definition of capitalism Sir?Sure back to shoes if you will......
Well given the title of this thread it has had many new births.The recent politeness is breath of fresh air. I hope it continues.Maybe we will get back to shoes at some point.I majored in business and only took philosophy courses as required. Quite frankly a lot of that stuff is over my head.At one point I had a satellite store in the RCA building in Rockefeller Center. Tons of work. I had 4 repairmen there.I started getting consistent complains. Tried to correct the...
DW...Thanks for your thoughts.I tried to do that and committed myself to that dedication for many years. If not for the sake of learning at the very least respect of my Father.The other guys wanted to up their game and I encouraged that. I guess Vincent felt threatened by that because all he would do was put them down. It was a bad business environment.As we know some things are not meant to be and I had a business to run.....One thing I left out was immediately after I...
I agree with DW there is a difference between a shoemaker and a shoe repairman. For the record most of the best repairman I have worked with over the years started out as shoemakers. They were and are from various countries throughout Europe and South America. They started their apprenticeships as young kids mostly learning from their fathers. Eventually over the years they became skilled shoemakers. They would make a complete shoe from start to finish. All by hand. And DW...
Ditto, thats fair and I hope agreed.....The confusing thing is I also have nearly 40 years experience and 3rd generation as well. For whatever reasons, sometimes DW's experiences and viewpoints and mine, differ. When you spend 40-60 hours a week over that period of time then your experience is questioned or deemed invalid? That's illogical to me. My experiences are mine and his are his. I think we are both sincere and obviously willing to share our time and knowledge with...