or Connect

Posts by Nick V.

Fair nuff. Would you use Gorilla glue on a bespoke boot that you made for one of you're clients? Even as a quick-fix?Just asking......
Fair point but, as mentioned we have done thousands of these. And, to my knowledge one screw failed. Consider each plate averages 5 screws that averages 10 screws per pair. 10 screws per pair on only 1000 pair equals 10,000 hand fitted screws. So, what is the probability that a screw will fail? Multiply that by over a thousand pair done. Of course everybody has the right to analyze. They even have the right to over-analyze. But, if you want to play fair in disputing the...
Well if it works for you continue using it. I would never apply it to leather though.....It's not as flexible as other available solutions. It will dry out the leather and MAY eventually cause it to crack. Then you have a bigger problem. I understand that it's very effective on certain materials and esp. when the components are being exposed to lot's of moisture or water conditions. I wouldn't use it on a customer's high-grade shoe though.....
I don't know of any specific product made for filling. Even if there is one we wouldn't have any use for it. As mentioned this only happened once to my knowledge. It was corrected and the shoe never returned with a problem. It's the same idea of a loose -or- stripped screw in a door jam hinge. You remove the screw add some cement and drive some wood scraps into the hole. Let it dry and replace the screw. One can replace the entire jam but, is it necessary, overkill? On...
No.....John Lobb has had a wholesale account with us for over 20 years.They supply us with their own components directly from their factory.Not only are their heel seats leather but the quality is on par with JR leather.They stain the the tops of their heel seats black.Here is a picture taken in the shop today.It shows the top and underside of a pair of Lobb heel seats:
Thank you.I'll start by saying they're are a lot of capable shoe repair people out there. If you have one in you're area, use them. By the same token there are a lot of butchers. They only hurt the shoe repair industry and I resent them.As I volunteered in the past (and was constantly berated for) No, I never fixed a pair of shoes in my life. But, I know what I'm doing and know what's going on. After successfully striving over 40 years only logic supports that fact.Having...
Here is a picture of a shoe we were working on yesterday. The sole was removed and the cork stripped. I took a 9-10 iron piece of leather and placed it on top of the welt. That represents a typical sole in thickness. I added the metal toe plate with a brass plated screw on top of the leather. I know that the leather (representing the sole) was not grooved to accept the toe plate. However if you look to the right of the toe plate, it's angled down. Something I didn't...
If you go to a local shoe repair shop you will find a device called "heel grips". They are intended to be inserted on the inside heel area of the shoe to prevent heel slippage. You may want to give that a try. BTW......Sole guards (Topy) are about $40.00 per pair. Swims retail at about $95.00. http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/cati2_Accessories_1_40000000001_-1_1_image_0_N_198_198_131307_subcategory__?gclid=CO2a_KTErcUCFZUkgQodwDIA0w
I agree with DW could be several things. However we work on C&J's everyday. They have an account with us. I can tell you first hand they are not using inferior leathers. If they were (in this case) I would see welts failing prematurely on a regular basis. To imply that they may be using inferior leather is misleading and unfair. Any competent shoe repair shop could re-welt them. The factory may not want to do them not because they need a new welt rather, they are more...
I wasn't asking that. I had a sincere curiosity of what else is in it. You answered the question. Thank you.But now my curiosity widens. If it's so evil to leather why would you use it?I suspect the answer to that is.....if used properly it won't cause any damage.I'm not going by assumption, I stated I can't smell any perfume. For what reason?We work on shoes not runways.