or Connect

Posts by Mark Seitelman

The cotton shrunk. Pure and simple. This is an example of getting what you pay for. They offer a very attractive price, but in the end the cotton is inferior. It is likely that cheap cotton was used, such as from China or India. The cotton might have looked and felt like the good stuff (from England or Italy or Switzerland), but its shrinkage is remarkable. There is a reason why top grade Italian cotton is expensive. You do not get this with a Turnbull &Asser shirt....
Hermes NYC at Madison Avenue offers MTM and bespoke. I visited shortly after the new store opened. MTM goes for about $4,000-5,000. Bespoke goes for $9,000+. I did not make much inquiry about the bespoke. I don't think that they sell that much men's custom clothing. Hermes does very well in it's ladiies RTW.
Here's an article on JFK and Chipp Clothiers: http://www.ivy-style.com/golden-years-the-battle-to-dress-jfk.html
But who looked better in the Litrico clothing?
1. I cannot comment whether or not the limitation of liability can be enforced in your state. As a general rule limitations can be enforced unless there is a overriding public policy issue. Therefore, you need to check your state's law. Incidentally, I have not seen this limitation in New York. 2. See if you can resolve it with the dry cleaner. A major cleaner may disregard the limitation. For example, a friend who has a resale-consignment store has an excellent...
Go with the in-store tailor for the following reasons:1. Cost. At Brooks Brothers and other major stores, the tailoring is a "cost" service versus a "for profit" service. An outside tailor will charge you more than twice the price since he must figure-in overhead and profit. Generally, the in-store tailoring will cost less. Incidentally, some of the services that you mention are included in the cost of the garment, such as hemming the pants and finishing the sleeves. ...
On the subject of outrageous cost: 1. Generally, these "super-duper" suits are merely publicity stunts and talkings points. (E.g., "we can make the finest suit from the rarest of rare of cloths that only emperors used to wear.") Many clothiers and manufacturers make these "ultimate suits" solely for the press coverage. The reporter from Channel 2 news eagerly takes-in the "story" which is nothing more than an advertisement. 2. On a related note, there is an ice...
Shoes without shoe trees tend to have their soles curl slightly. The tree keeps the sole flat for the long periods of non-use. Shoe trees made from the shoe's last not only retard curling, but they keep the shoe's overall shape.
You will find striped sleeve linings on RTW, MTM, and custom/bespoke. Generally, it is a sign of a traditional, fine coat. The striped linings came about when suits had a much heavier construction. Coat linings were originally alpaca. Silk was used in the sleeves for less bulk and to make it easier to slip-in and -out. Eventually, various other materials came into use, such as bemberg. Silk was supplanted in that the other materials are less likely to...
Generally, Poole bespoke made for it's Saville Row shop has a Poole label sewn below the collar. Poole is the only maker who places the label ther rather than the usual place by the inside chest pocket. The label states "Henry Poole (London), Ltd."