or Connect

Posts by Mark Seitelman

I have used Davies & Son, and I can recommend them. I think that your starting consideration is your budget.
1. Order basics from Sam Hober. There are other custom tie makers (such as Turnbull & Asser, Brooks Brothers, Cappelli, Marinella, etc.), but you'll be paying anywhere from 1.5 to 2 times Hober's price. Sam Hober's quality is excellent. 2. I have used Tie Crafters to shorten ties, and I recommend them. $24.50 is cheaper than buying a new tie in view of the insane prices being charged. $200 + for a tie? Heck, I used to pay that for a suit! 3. I am the same height,...
What a shame. Sic transit gloria mundi.
I read that Jack Taylor of Beverly Hills passed away. He was a colorful clothier, the subject of an hour documentary. Does anyone have any information as to his retirement, death, and the status of his business? Was it bought out or acquired? Or did it shutter?
I don't think that it's vicuna. If it were vicuna it would say so, plain and simple. There were be no need to be cute and call it something else. There would be no need to hint ("wink, wink") that it is vicuna. One cannot tell from the photos. It looks like an ordinary wool topcoat. It is worth more for your sentimental value than its value on eBay (perhaps $50). Good luck.
Darts are necessary to give you some shape to the coat. E.g., a broad chest and a nipped waist. Some very skilled tailors can achieve shaping without darts. Some very skilled tailors don't like darts since it breaks-up the stripes or other patterns on the front of the coat. Without darts, the coat falls straight down like a lab coat or a sack. Hence, such are called sack suits.
I noticed the following trends: 1. The black four-in-hand necktie has diminished. Most men now wear bow ties. 2. Black is back in full force. With the exception of "The Rock's" maroon smoking jacket and a couple of white dinner coats, men are wearing black dinner suits. 3. Although there were a couple of men in white dinner coats, that trend seems to be on the wane. It is a totally inappropriate look for a formal event in January. 3. I noticed a couple of...
I tried the website (www.asuitablewardrobe.com), and it states that the web page is no longer available.
YES!
1. Cego for shirts. See Shirtmaven's listing above. 2. LS Mens Clothes for tailored clothing. You will pay less than 1/2 that what you would have spent at Brooks MTM. As for more exalted establishments, you'll be paying 1/3 of what those places charge. I have used both Cego and LS, and I recommend them. Carl (Cego) and Izzy (LS) are lovely and honest people. As for Shirtmaven's recommendation of Mr. Ned, it is also an excellent choice. The pricing is similar to...