Posts by Mark Seitelman

We use Housing Works. Ask your church or synagogue or social organization/club. The administrator would know if a member in need could use some good clothes. E.g., returning to the work force or getting a first job. One of my salesmen prefers this route since he knows that the clothes will be put to good use. Good luck.
Spencer Hays passed away at the age of 80 on Wednesday in New York City. Here is a lovely tribute: http://www.mr-mag.com/menswear-visionary-spencer-hays-dies-80/ Mr. Hays founded Tom James and Individual Apparel Group, the owner of a number of manufacturers, such as Oxxford Clothes, Holland & Sherry, Individualized Shirts, Gittman Brothers, H. Freeman & Son, English-American Tailoring, Corbin, and other companies. He was not only a leader in classic menswear and a...
"Nice" formal shoes should be kept in a dark, cool closet in an airtight, acid free box with the shoes wrapped in undyed cotton. The shoes should be handled with cotton gloves and viewed no more once a year. The serious answer is "yes", I wear dress shoes while driving (also walking, sitting, dining, etc.).
I agree that if you want a Tom Ford suit, buy a Tom Ford suit. I would not recommend going to Hickey Freeman's MTM service and ask them to make a Tom Ford suit.
Correct. No fusing in an Oxxford coat.There is nothing special about this Tom Ford coat except the high price and the designer name attached to it.E.g.,1. The pick-stitching is by machine. The Italians love this machine which imitates hand work. They have developed a machine which makes uneven stitches on the front side so that it can look like hand sewing. However, it is an imitation. It is like artificial coffee creamer as compared to real milk.2. The collar is...
It was an interesting article for a number of reasons: 1. Taub provided a garment to the author for copying. This is a first. Perhaps, a few "copycat" cheapskates will try to pull the same gimmick with Taub or other tailors? Has Taub opened a Pandora's box? 2. The article illustrates that a copy is a copy. Sometimes the copy is excellent, and sometimes it is terrible. If you want the real thing, go to the source. Don't waste time and money. 3. As for...
I have used Davies & Son, and I can recommend them. I think that your starting consideration is your budget.
1. Order basics from Sam Hober. There are other custom tie makers (such as Turnbull & Asser, Brooks Brothers, Cappelli, Marinella, etc.), but you'll be paying anywhere from 1.5 to 2 times Hober's price. Sam Hober's quality is excellent. 2. I have used Tie Crafters to shorten ties, and I recommend them. $24.50 is cheaper than buying a new tie in view of the insane prices being charged. $200 + for a tie? Heck, I used to pay that for a suit! 3. I am the same height,...
What a shame. Sic transit gloria mundi.
I read that Jack Taylor of Beverly Hills passed away. He was a colorful clothier, the subject of an hour documentary. Does anyone have any information as to his retirement, death, and the status of his business? Was it bought out or acquired? Or did it shutter?