or Connect

Posts by CalGuy13

Yeah---not sure if you knew, but it's literally named the University of Pennsylvania tie on Hober's website. He didn't go to Penn, though, so if the width of the stripes does imply Penn I'd be hesitant to go with it. I wish Hober offered that design with narrower stripes (1" or so), but they don't. I'm leaning toward the non-Penn striped tie at the moment.
I'm trying to decide on a tie to order. It's going to be a gift for my boss (also a friend) who is about to be elected to our state legislature. He wears a lot of red and blue ties currently, though his ties are of poor quality (a lot of Banana Republic-type stuff). Red and blue are also his college's colors. I'm considering the three patterns below, as an untipped six-fold. Any thoughts on which is the most broadly-pleasing of the three?   Also, any suggestions on...
Check out the SALT Harlan. I just ordered a pair of them as prescription sunglasses from Gogosha, but they're also available as eyeglasses. SALT is generally well-regarded as a high quality brand. I seem to recall the company was founded by former Oliver Peoples employees after that brand was bought by Luxottica.
I own a pair of Yellows Plus eyeglasses, purchased from Gogosha Optique in LA. Gogosha is one of the few shops in North America that carries them. You pay a high price at Gogosha, but you get a top-notch selection of frames and great advice on what works best for you.  I'm very happy with them (foreground pair). They're definitely the highest-quality pair of glasses I've ever owned. I can't put my finger on what makes them feel so nice... Something about the texture of the...
Is there a list of very classic, specific models of sunglasses that are still available for sale? I'm looking for models that have been relatively popular for years, to avoid having them look dated in 5 years. Plus, I just really like the "standard" model of things. The ones I can think of: AO Eyewear Original Pilot Ray-Ban Aviator (3025) Ray-Ban Wayfarer (2140) Ray-Ban Clubmaster (3016) Randolph Engineering Aviator Shuron Escapades Persol 649 Do others come to...
I need a fairly specific design, and Sam Hober doesn't offer it in silk (I did send an email asking). Vanda doesn't either.   Are there any good Sam Hober alternatives?   I want this design, 3.5" wide, lined six fold, handrolled edges.   Thanks!  
I tried emailing Meermin yesterday about sizing, but haven't heard back yet. Hopefully someone here can confirm (or question) my thinking.   I currently have a 10D Strand and a 9.5E Park Avenue, both on the Allen Edmonds 5-65 last. The Strand fits me best, but has lots of extra length around the toe. The Park Avenue is too loose in the width, but wearable (there is zero lace gap), and okay in length. I haven't had opportunity to try on a 9.5D, but I think it would put...
Just ordered a pair of bourbon McAllister's, and I want to do the shining thing right this time. Some questions:   Is this guide generally regarded as good advice? What color Saphir product is recommended for bourbon shoes? Any recommended vendors for Saphir products, brushes, and the like (aside from Hanger Project)?   Thanks!
So I finally decided to pick up a pair of McAllister, and I realized a sale literally just ended a few days ago. Any idea when the next similar sale for firsts through AE will be? Is there a chance an AE retail store would still honor the sale price?