or Connect

Posts by deadAngle

Can't go wrong with a simple white carnation with the stem hidden through the boutonniere hole.  Something of similar scale in orange might also work but the carnation is probably the best option.
Generally, but not always.  I have a dark red solid wool tie in a neat weave as well as several wool/silk blends that certainly provide a bit of visual interest without altering the formality.  The silk/wool blend ones in particular have the most pleasing hand and lustre to the fabric I've felt in a tie; my only regret is that I do not own more of them.
Combo suede/leather shoes are absolutely great if you have the confidence to wear them.  I've seen black patent combined with suede in pleasing combinations too.
The font choice looks like it could be from the 1980s or later, or at a stretch could be 1960s.  Prior to the 1950s, fabric content would generally (if even marked at all) have said "All Cotton" instead of using a percentage.
IMO the cotton canvas espadrilles are a better option than the leather.  They stretch to shape faster, are cheaper, are a better fit for summer due to the breathability of the fabric, and have more colour options that you shouldn't shy away from.  Jute soles aren't particularly hard-wearing, and will only last about a season if worn daily (especially if exposed to concrete).  Perfect for boats, beaches, and boardwalks, though.
Try some slightly more authentic espadrilles without branding on the side.  Don't go for the espadrille shoes, just the slip-ons.  I have some in the blue/white nautical stripe they offer, they're pretty nice.    
With a few historical exceptions, a 2-button jacket is always cut to form an X shape in the front to enhance the physique of those wearing it and as such buttoning the bottom button to form more of a Y shape looks odd to onlookers no matter how good your physique is.   Beyond the standard 2-button where the bottom button is obviously cut to not button, the rules get a little bit more hazy.  The majority of waistcoats and double-breasted jackets are not cut with the...
That last feature is something you don't actually find on a lot of jackets, only the odd tweed one.  You can fix this by adding a button underneath the opposite lapel to match the placement of the boutonniere hole.  I've done this on a couple of my jackets, and it certainly is beneficial when the weather changes to be colder, windier, or rainier and I didn't bring a scarf.
I'm of the opinion that Dugdale uses too soft of a finish on their wools.  They feel luxurious in the hand but don't hold a press as well as something with a harder, crunchier finish would and I suspect this is the same reason you're getting shiny elbows.  I haven't noticed any shine on the seat of my dark grey herringbone Dugdale pants yet but I'll keep this in mind. Also, if you're the type to rest your elbows on the desk then maybe a tweed with elbow patches is more up...
Grosgrain is the more subdued of the two options, and it's a lot harder to get wrong when tailoring because of the hardier fabric used.  There's a lot that can go wrong with satin and many people associate overly shiny lapels with cheap and ill-fitting rentals.