or Connect

Posts by cataan

Thanks.  I looked over additional threads on this and examined the seam and fit of the jacket again.  It occurred to me that, rather than raising the armhole itself, perhaps a fix would be to let out the seam a small amount (say 1/4 to 1/2 inch) on the front and bottom of the armhole.  This might result in the chest size effectively expanding but that could be remedied by taking in the rear center seam.   ?????????
Just got a sport coat that fits well everywhere except one place -- the armhole.  If I am simply standing with arms at my sides it looks great, but it feels like it is pulling down on my shoulders and I cannot raise my arms much.  I'm not a dancer or gymnast but I don't stand like a statue all day either.  My understanding is that means the armhole seam is too low, thus restricting movement of my shoulders/upper arms.  In terms of alterations, can a tailor raise the seam...
The other day I found a dress shirt I had not worn in some 12 years.  It was one I bought from a chain of stores that no longer exists - "Today's Man".  The fit, while not being fitted or slim, fit very well like a fitted or slim shirt.  I guess over the last decade dress shirts have upsized.  What struck me was the fact that the quality of cotton was very nice.  It had a substantial feel to it, was not see through at all, didn't wrinkle, and was quite smooth.  Over the...
Anyone have knowledge on which is better?  I have a 38 inch jacket which, if half an inch smaller, would fit very well (there are slight ripples across the upper back).  So, to turn it into a 37.5, would a simple center seam alteration be ideal or hitting the side seams instead?  If it matters the jacket has stripes that would need to maintain alignment.
Try "Wear Nice Fashions" in Hong Kong.  Very high quality custom-made suits.
Let me add: at your price point focus on the product itself, not the name.  You want:   1) 100% wool (if it has some small percent silk or cashmere okay but that will be more expensive) 2) Thread count between 110 and 150 (lower than 110 is crap, higher than 150 is too delicate) 3) Bemberg lining 4) Fully or half canvased though this will be difficult to find at your price point (though I have picked up a couple JSB Sig Gold suits for $179 but that is rare);...
JohnVW - ha, yes, Jos Bank is often demeaned in this forum, but it just shows ignorance because for an OTR suit the sig. and sig golds are very good buys when bought on sale.  And I say that even though I own two custom-tailored suits that are of exquisite quality.   Rickrone - avoid no break for your pants.  Avoid extremes like no break or lots of break by staying in the middle which simply looks good.  If your socks show it looks like your pants are too short which...
You probably know this but just to make sure -- never button both buttons of a two-button suit.  Button the top one when when standing/walking; leave both unbuttoned when sitting.  For alterations to the pants, get cuffs and a medium break rather than a full break (full break will swallow your shoes and looks weird if you are not tall).  It could be that previously you had full breaks on your pants since some tailors do that standard.   I recently purchase tailored...
Slim fit?  5'8", neck 16.5, weight 200 pounds is not slim.  You are the perfect build for Jos Bank Signature suits.  Keep in mind that as far as jacket length is concerned you have two issues:  how does the length look compared to your arms at your sides and how much of your butt does it cover?  Most places will have short sizes for those who are 5'7" or under.  Since you are only one inch taller you could probably wear short or regular - since suits are cut differently...
You might first consider trying on different brand suits without any intention of buying.  Compare how they fit without alterations.  The better the fit the fewer alterations needed and the better the suit will look.  For me $200 means one thing:  waiting for Jos Bank to have an online sale on Signature or Signature Gold suits -- usually either on clearance or a one-day sale -- and buying the color/pattern you like.  This is generally $177 to $248.  Alterations will mean...