or Connect

Posts by Studio1st

Botolph, It's tricky defining 'revival' reggae exactly as it can mean all things to all people. It's most commonly used to describe music from 1959/60 up to 79/80 just before the change to 'dancehall' rhythms. Within this timeframe you can find loads of sub-genres and individual small scenes with preferences for certain styles - at a guess what Browniecj might be particularly refering to is the non 'roots' Jamaican vocal tunes from the 71-75 period of which there are...
 sigh - would really prefer to leave this particular discussion but given people are (unfairly imho) putting the boot into the LCC staff here rather than the exhibition organisers.... The complaints probably do come from people who didnt realise there were plenty of black skins in the original days - millions of people live their lives happily without being aware of this fact. The worst thing about the exhibition is that the Diversity Officer (who we've decided here is a...
It's probably been mentioned on here before but Paulo Hewitt wrote a book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Fashion-Football-Beckham-Label/dp/1840188073/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379671865&sr=8-1&keywords=the+fashion+of+football) where he goes into some detail about the disputed origins of 'casual' style and the London look Browniecj is describing (and its links to the reggae 'sticksman' style) get discussed there. Back on topic - it also discusses mod and original skinhead via...
" Up to that point they had always been knit with natural,country wool  colours.Then along came the Acrylic knock-offs in Black/white/ Dayglo orange and similar ! What an eyesore !"     ....like the kid on the cover of the Upsetters 'Clint Eastwood' album? Who is also sporting monkey boots (I think), a classic pair of pictures of the 'little brother' type skinhead i'd imagine:         I've just joined a reggae band as it happens, playing...
Ignoring the price tag (although I notice it does qualify for free delivery which is nice!) how would a jacket like this have been received at the time?   http://www.stuartslondon.com/coats-jackets-c23/jackets-c25/levis-vintage-levis-vintage-1960s-suede-bomber-jacket-blue-70748-001-p9672   Personally I think it's lovely, just slightly beyond my means.....   Off Topic about reggae in New York late sixties/seventies as mentioned above - it was an underground...
  This is wandering off topic but I have to say that's total horseshit. There's been reggae and soul dances happening for donkeys years without any 'skin' involvement. Look at the best crews currently playing revival reggae in Europe (are you German? In which case check Thundering Vibration or the Reggae Twins for example, Or the Dirty Dozen crew in Austria) they're not skins - they may attract skins to their dances but they ain't skins. Same with soul. These music scenes...
Sam Smiths pubs are worth a look if you've never been in one - because they make and sell all (and i mean ALL) their own drinks - all the cola, lemonade, tonic, the stout, the bitter,the lager, etc.no brand names. And they all have hokey 'made up' brand names - they're not labelled 'Samuel Smiths cola', etc This at least was the case when i last remember going in one a couple of years ago - i hope it hasn't changed.   Quite a strange experience the first time you...
'Cosh Boy' is the title of a great little film starring a very young Joan Collins (and looking very lovely too). Think it was her first or second film.    Was moving flat about 110 years ago and this came on in the afternoon. Didnt get anything done for the duration.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAp4RWBrWr4
Yid Army is a recent (90s) term used by Spurs support generally and is the name of one of the Spurs firms since that time. Spurs UEFA cup win in 1972 against Feyenoord (Dutch side) kicked off and Spurs trashed the place (with one spurs fan getting shot dead by a local shopkeeper).    This riot, seen live TV all over Europe is where the idea that Spurs exported football violence comes from. Spurs main mob in the skinhead era was (I think) led by Frankie Parrish and...