or Connect

Posts by McQ7

Yes, to be honest when Alden cordovan is still dark as my boots are, I prefer the darker welt and edges, too.  But knowing they'll lighten up over time made me think I should just go for something dark brown right now since I was already having the work done.   Thanks for the confirmation on the slipperiness and wear--I'd read that someone heard that someone heard they get more grippy so it's nice to have an actual first hand account. Oh, and I forgot to mention that Aram...
 The boots were pretty new, but I walk a mile on pavement every day and one of the ways is on an incline...the toes were not looking good even after just two weeks.  And I couldn't wear them when it was wet.  And Aram had this special going on, and converting to Dainite was what I knew eventually I would want to do.  So I just went for it.  Whereas before they felt sturdy on top and delicate on the bottom, now they feel bulletproof.  A tough, good-looking shoe that will...
 He was running a special in August for $100 plus $17 for shipping from my location (just one charge), so I got mine done for $117 total--the discount was my motivation do just do it now.  His standard rate is $125 plus the one-time shipping charge...still a very good price and I would say well worth it.  If you check out my previous posts you can see the whole story.  The short version is that the price is good, the work is excellent, and Aram couldn't have been nicer or...
I received my boots back from Aaram of AH One Shoes & Repair yesterday, and wore them today.  I'm extremely impressed with the work done to convert these to Dainite, and especially love the edge and welt color change.  The welt is lighter now and I do think it works well with the brown edges.  Perhaps most importantly, the boots are now much more comfortable than when they had the stock leather soles.  I am loving the Dainite!    Here are some pics with no overhead...
I received my boots back from Aaram of AH One Shoes & Repair yesterday, and wore them today.  I'm extremely impressed with the work done to convert these to Dainite, and especially love the edge and welt color change.  The welt is lighter now and I do think it works well with the brown edges.  Perhaps most importantly, the boots are now much more comfortable than when they had the stock leather soles.  I am loving the Dainite!    Here are some pics with no overhead...
Summary of recent work by Aram Hodikoglu of AH One Shoes (https://ahoneshoes.com/)    I recently reached out to Aram via email to ask some questions about doing a Dainite conversion for my JCrew cordovan boots.  As Aram mentioned to me, he's celebrating one year of having his own shop after 20 years as a repairman (he previously did work for Sky Valet in DC) and is running a special through the end of this month for $100 instead of the usual $125.  With shipping for me...
Just heard from Aram that my JCrew cordovan boots are on their way back to me!   Here are a couple of pics he sent.  I'll update again when he posts more of them to his blog:   Before:   New Dainite soles:   After:
Ha, yeah it must be your pic...it came up on a google image search for crocket and jones cordovan dainite. Beautiful boots! Thanks for the update pic, too
My preference on edge color is also heavily influenced by my love for the Crockett & Jones approach to Dainite:    
 Fantastic looking...wow!  Variety may be the spice of life, but I like to use/wear what I like as often as I can.  This is the perfect shoe rotation solution for guys like me--they're the same but just different enough. :)