or Connect

Posts by samus

Maybe I just had bad timing, but when I went to Macau I spent more time waiting on line at customs to enter than the ferry itself took. Not worth it.
I have their Autism Speaks checkered tie and I love it. Great cause too.
Quote: Originally Posted by Huntsman All the spirits have a good side, except, well, my particular bane, which is Cynar. Don't ask. A crying shame. Love the stuff
Quote: Originally Posted by crazyquik This year, among other herbs, I'm growing 3 basils. The old standby, plus lemon basil (which tastes like basil with lemon) and Thai basil (which has a bit of a licorice taste). A thai place near me uses their basil in mojitos - try it, it's really good.
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire I think we need a group hug and then a tofu burger. No bun for me, as I'm out to save the carbs. But if you don't eat the baked potato you're disqualified!
Quote: Originally Posted by Dragon I think the problems are equal (meat & veggie agriculture). When you need to mass produce cheap beef, or veggies, the environment is going to suffer. You mention that the problems can be mitigated in vegetable agriculture, but of course they could be mitigated in raising cows as well. If everyone converts to vegetarianism (as people like Nosu propose), the mass production necessary to feed everyone will create...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire It's the height of teenage mentality. "My position is so mind boggling, so correct, so avante guard...you can't deal with it!" That's rich. There are people here asking if oral sex is vegan, and I'm the one with the teenage mentality. I'm not claiming to be enlightened, avant-garde, or anything else. Vegetarianism does not confer saintliness. I'm not even one of them! I just think people deserve...
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt This is the height of silliness. I call it like I see it. I don't attribute this to you, but there are many others in this thread to whom I do. Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt lol wut? No it wasn't. It was started to find out how much the various people here valued eating a highly varied diet. I really don't care what other people eat. Why would I? Uh huh. "Death or...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire What is also indisputable is that gigantic tracts of non-arable land produce meat. You're right. I'm not arguing that we should stop using non-arable land for those purposes. I just find it laughable when people argue that adding land for vegetable farming is wasteful or bad for the environment when how many millions of acres of pristine rainforest have been destroyed for cattle farming, and the insult to...
Quote: Originally Posted by philosophe I am puzzled by all of the absolutism in this thread. Most of the vegans I know want to minimize their impact on the animal world. Hence they do not eat animal products, and they mostly try to avoid leather. It's pretty damned hard to achieve 100% success, and they know it. But what is so bad about trying to achieve an ethical vision? Many of us who eat meat also have some standards about humane treatment of...