or Connect

Posts by Andrew Ryan

No experience with the 'stiff' collars, but I have one thing to say - Milano II collar. Looks really bad without a jacket (I use button downs and, admittedly, some MII's with magnetic collar stays at times when not wearing one, but I'm almost always in a jacket); looks fantastic with a jacket and is the only one out of any of the collars I've tried (and I've tried a hefty amount of them, including the two you mention) that has enough length in the collar points and at the...
Anyone have any experience with their convertible cuff option? I wear FC mostly but instead of keeping BC shirts on hand for those occasions that require it, I'm intrigued by the concept, but there's not a lot of explanation of how it works/looks on the website.    @ccallis - when folded for links, is it actually a single cuff rather than a double/french? any chance we could get some pics of one in both configurations? If I dig it, I'm thinking of ordering all my future...
I'm probably a little too hung up on this, but is it kosher to wear dark brown shoes and leathers in the summer? In previous years I've always switched to tan, walnut and such shades when it gets hot out (enough to go without a jacket; has always been my rule anyway).    However, this year I feel the need to dress more conservatively (for the first time really) - partly professional though not strictly; probably because the older I get the more conservative I seem to...
I also doubt Gucci gives two shits, but this is interesting because, as I mentioned, I have several pair of these in dark brown ('cocoa') that do the exact same thing while none of my other 1953 collection bits do (tan, maple, navy, etc). Unfortunately my dark brown ones have been scuffed so much at this point that they've been delegated to knock-around shoe status. Wish I would've had the idea to do the research and see a cobbler like you did.    Then again, cptjeff is...
At what point do you guys break out (at what date range or temperature level or weather conditions) the pastels and more vibrant colors, e.g., royal blue and powder blue sport coats, light beige, tan shoes and leathers (although I don't really wear tan leathers near as much anymore in my work environment, unfortunately).   I've been bouncing back and forth on sunny 85+ days with those (no tan shoes) and then a piece from my transition spring to summer wardrobe the next...
Also: Manton once said in 'the' white shirt thread that he thought a thick (i.e., OCBD) white shirt was 'kind of a mutt' - in that it would look good with textured blazers (and blues and greys, and blue and grey ties, following his 'rules' established w/r/t white shirt wear) but would, of course, severely limit tie options. I only wear blue and grey ties (and jackets) these days so it doesn't bother me, but a semi-spread (and especially a full spread or wider) white shirt...
I know this is an old thread, but a good one, though this key point wasn't repeated enough I don't think: yes for sport coats (and blazers, in some contexts and for a particular aesthetic), no for suits. Not so much a hard and fast rule (as discussed already) as a general guideline, and one I follow personally. That said, I've a question to post to the thread - can a WHITE shirt with button down collar (assume pinpoint or oxford cloth) be appropriate with a sport coat (in...
Title says it all. Assuming you do a seasonal wardrobe, at what temperature point do you switch from brown leathers to tan (unless you're one of those people that wear tan year round ), and lighter colors in general (SC's, suits, shirting)?   I figure this should be relatively universal regardless of location - but can't seem to find any consensus via search. It's in the mid-seventies here, but until it starts breaking 80, I just don't feel like it's right yet...
Linen + untucked = about as casual as you can get, so anything unfused (any of the Soft collars, plenty to choose from) or lightly fused (standard BD collar). Assuming you're wearing it without a jacket (of course), my previous two cents applies as well re: button downs. Again though, that's just that - my two cents.
The Soft Ivy is not at all large in person, really, the roll is just large (a good thing if you're into that). If you're not wearing a sportcoat, I suggest sticking with the regular (non-Colorado) button-down collar, or going with the Soft Ivy. Be aware the Ivy is going to take some pressing (band and leaf separately) to not look too casual; if that's a concern, again, stick with the regular button down.  Spread collars (assuming the right proportions and everything else,...