or Connect

Posts by Andrew Ryan

I spent a brief period wearing their Bowery trousers before moving to custom (Luxire) ones that are better suited to my frame and preferences, and of course higher quality w/r/t price point. I just can't stand most of their 'looks' they have on their website and the like. Admittedly, some of the items they sell are well suited to this look. Banana Republic even, as well. I'll admit this is a process I've gone through over the years. Like many others, I jumped straight into...
I've worn tan shoes during spring/summer for as long as I can remember, but am finishing up a graduate program (mental health counseling) and was told by one mentor that I should 'tone down' my dress this past warm season to be 'more professional' in front of clients. Next season I'll be facing clients, and although it certainly isn't mandated that I do so, I'm wondering what various opinions are regarding this. Obviously, the more conservative your workplace culture the...
Some certainly do, but I only own (and prefer) fine twills, which aren't really noticeable texture wise except up close (but sufficiently hefty and opaque, which is my main concern with white shirts). I actually have a batch of MTM white regular oxfords in the same configuration I described due in this week, both with and without french cuffs, as I wanted to experiment with those as well - perhaps that's what I'll end up settling with. My thing with french cuffs is two...
Was trying to avoid "dandy," "affected," "pretentious," et cetera. I imagine all of these would apply, however.
I usually post on the CM side of the forum, but thought I'd ask this here as there are jeans involved and that seems to scare off those guys.   Anyone have an opinion on mixing (white) royal oxford cloth shirts with heavily textured sport coats and jeans?   When I'm doing what I like to think of as louche casual (going out for drinks, dates, &c.), I do blue, grey, and blue/grey SC's, all heavily textured but essentially solid (linen, incl. tan in S/S) with solid white...
Anyone have an opinion on mixing (white) royal oxford cloth shirts with heavily textured sport coats and jeans?   When I'm doing what I like to think of as louche casual (going out for drinks, dates, &c.), I do blue, grey, and blue/grey SC's, all heavily textured but essentially solid (linen, incl. tan in S/S) with solid white (mostly twill) tall-banded two button spread collars worn open, white linen square, and jeans. Usually topped off with MoP cufflinks and Gucci...
Would you guys regard this shirting fabric as year-round casual (jacket + no tie) wear, or is it more F/W or S/S? It's part of a fall/winter collection, but the tone of the red strikes me as being more or less year round versatile. Just canvassing for feedback before I pull the trigger on having one made up.  
I'm of the opinion that assuming you're avoiding a conservative look across the rest of the board (w/r/t shirt color - white being the biggest culprit - regimental stripe tie, no pocket square, &c.) dark grey trousers and navy work just fine. That said, I do prefer a mid-grey over charcoal no matter what, and am not even opposed to light grey (flannels) in fall/winter with navy. The outfit as a whole determines whether or or not it comes of security guard-ish.
If you like your TM Lewin's besides the collar point length, you can send one of them to Luxire for exact replication in any fabric of your choosing with any modifications you'd like, including ones with longer collar points. They're more expensive than TM Lewin, but they do have plenty of quite good fabrics in the $60-$80 range as well as their $100+ ones. Their construction and fabrics far exceed either aforementioned shirtmakers in quality, and I've had a custom collar...
I don't have any experience with TM Lewin shirts, sorry, but the CT 'classic' collar has, as mentioned, fairly long points (might even be more than the 3" estimate I said, now that I think about it). I personally wouldn't want shirts with any longer ones as it would seem unbalanced, but your tastes may vary.