or Connect

Posts by Andrew Ryan

Thanks for the input, guys. I guess I'll save the brighter colors &c. for the weekends for awhile.
Bumping this thread just to see if anyone else has any differing opinions on this. cbfn's response was helpful but I wonder if anyone does get away with this kind of thing - my next purchases are for spring/summer and I'm torn as to what to focus on. Surely, with all the love of seasonal dressing around here, someone is actually going to work wearing non-ultra-CBD...
Also, it looks like the 'Jort' model is going to be available stateside, after being UK only for a long time, I believe. Dunno anything about it, but yeah.
Spring/summer collection is partially up, although they're calling it the 'resort' collection - not sure what that's about. Lots of weird shots of guys in SC's and shorts. Bought a light blue wool/linen/silk/cashmere (how's that for an odd blend?) Havana jacket. Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up.
I think the crux of the biscuit on this issue isn't that a BD collar is inherently informal nor french cuffs inherently formal - they may be, some would argue, but it really doesn't matter - but that they're perceived as formal. Even with silk knots, I've had more comments on my 'fancy shirts' than I care for. To make them look right worn casually, you really have to go all the way in terms of incoherence on the city-country spectrum - these days I'll only wear them with...
I did it for a long time since my posts before finally giving in and switching to a tall-banded, double button Italian style collar worn open. Frames my face better than any BD I've tried, bypasses the annoying pulling at the buttons that BD's seem prone to (custom or OTR, it's just a matter of movement) and on topic, it just seems more natural with french cuffs. I echo what other said before in this thread about BD + FC seeming 'unbalanced' and incoherent - it just took...
I have the exact same problem on my 'cocoa' (burnished dark brown calf) w/gold bit 1953 loafers; I've 3 pair and they all scuff just as your photos show. My two pair of tan do not scuff in this way, nor do my navy or cream/maple pairs (all 1953 models). Other than having a cobbler put on toe taps, I'm afraid I have no advice. I've considered toe taps recently due to the same issue but haven't yet pulled the trigger.   Unfortunate on such expensive shoes, but c'est la...
I spent a brief period wearing their Bowery trousers before moving to custom (Luxire) ones that are better suited to my frame and preferences, and of course higher quality w/r/t price point. I just can't stand most of their 'looks' they have on their website and the like. Admittedly, some of the items they sell are well suited to this look. Banana Republic even, as well. I'll admit this is a process I've gone through over the years. Like many others, I jumped straight into...
I've worn tan shoes during spring/summer for as long as I can remember, but am finishing up a graduate program (mental health counseling) and was told by one mentor that I should 'tone down' my dress this past warm season to be 'more professional' in front of clients. Next season I'll be facing clients, and although it certainly isn't mandated that I do so, I'm wondering what various opinions are regarding this. Obviously, the more conservative your workplace culture the...
Some certainly do, but I only own (and prefer) fine twills, which aren't really noticeable texture wise except up close (but sufficiently hefty and opaque, which is my main concern with white shirts). I actually have a batch of MTM white regular oxfords in the same configuration I described due in this week, both with and without french cuffs, as I wanted to experiment with those as well - perhaps that's what I'll end up settling with. My thing with french cuffs is two...