or Connect

Posts by Martin B

My picture shows what are probably my all-time favorite pair of Hartt's:  For fit, style, and color.  They are Style #0900 and built on #48 Last.  I bought them a good 20 years ago, maybe more, at the Sales Office attached to the Hartt factory in Fredericton.  The heel sock shows:  Directors Quality - Hartt - Since 1898 - Canada's Quality Shoemakers - Hand-Waxed Finish.  Because of this type of finish, the spit and polish routine is unnecessary.  I just use shoe cream on...
Message to FaceOfBoh.  Just noticed on EBay a pair of new Hartt Brown Moc Vamp shoes for sale at $60.  The seller says they are 10 1/2 "medium" width.  Can't see the size stamp in his pictures.  Looks like a crushed grain leather.  Very nice.  You'd look pretty snappy wearing these down Jasper Ave this summer.
I found an interesting pair of shoes on E-Bay under "Dack's Shoes".  They are listed as 1950s Dack's.  As soon as I saw them:  Black, Balmoral, Toe Cap, I thought they looked like the old RCAF Officer's Dress shoe.  There is no identification on the soles or the insoles.  However, there is a size marked on the outsole, the insole, and the heel counter:  A very strange combination size:  11 1/2  12.  Part of the stamp on the heel counter includes the letters DCGEM. ...
FaceofBoh   So - I didn't make out too well in guessing style numbers!  Back when I was selling Hartt shoes, in the catalog and on the shoe boxes, brown shoes were known by three digit numbers in the 600 series; black shoes in the 400 series.  What I don't remember is - what number appeared in the actual shoes.  All my latter day Hartts show four digit numbers like your Brentwoods.  We'd need to talk with someone who worked in the Fredericton factory to get the...
To FaceofBoh.  I sold Hartt's in southern Ontario in my pre-20s years.  We had a small in-stock catalogue from the company that we used for promotion.  That would be in the early '50s.  Your brown willow calf shoes are in the copy I still have and were called The Brentwood, Style No. 661.  The shoe was also available in black calf as the Brentwood under Style No. 454.  Now, here's the test for my "shoe recognition" effort.  The number 661 should appear inside the heel...
Message for Man of Lint.  Thanks for the addresses to contact tonylamer.  His thread was actually in Feb 2012 and apparently the camel oxfords, size 14, went the next day!  Chap from the northwest snapped them up.  Lately I have helped a couple of merchants, who advertise on E-Bay, to decode older Canadian Dack sizes, for example, 312 or 4105 or 413.  They were not familiar with using a numeral for the width.  We established quite a friendly communication.  Cheers,...
To tonylamer:  In a previous thread discussing Dack's shoes, you indicated that you had a pair of Dack's in camel leather size 14 for sale.  It was in Feb 2012 I believe.  Still have them for sale?  Price?   Martin B
In October on another thread, tonylamer told us that he had bought a pair of Dack's Camel hide shoes on spec.  They were a bit big for him, so he was looking for a new home for them.  Look no further.  There was also some discussion on whether they were camel hide.  I would say yes because I have had a pair of camel slip ons for years.  See E-Bay Dack's for the same shoe.  Excellent hard wearing, very comfy material.
It looks as if I got into the Dack's Shoes Question a little late.  However, if Colonel 77 or Man of Lint can answer my questions, I would appreciate it.  Also, I was interested in the size 14 Camel shoes that tonylamer mentioned on 2 Oct.  What's the best way to get his attention?
Hello.  Stumbled onto your very interesting forum several days ago.  I'm an almost 65 year fan of Dack's and Hartt's shoes.  Started wearing and sellling (part-time going to school) Hartt's at age 15.  When one wears a 13 1/2, one had to choose from the best since there were few options at the time.  I think that I can contribute some interesting information as time goes by, but right now I would like to ask "tonylamer" if he still has the Camel oxfords, size 14 that he...