or Connect

Posts by Cheuk

Why is there no comments section at putthison.com?   I suspect PTO is considered for beginners and so many SF readers don't look at it. But I suspect many do. I like a lot of what those guys say, however I often am curious what others think about it. And I have no *real* friends who care remotely about this style thing :)
 That is a lovely shoe and I think quite versatile. That said, I think a darker brown would be more versatile. I think the broguing makes it work well with suits and sport coats. Depending on your budget and definition of "gradually", you might be better of getting two less expensive shoes however. For example, if I were going to spend that money on shoes, I would prob go for two (or even three!) pairs of Allen Edmonds. But that's based on my (wife's :) willingness to pay,...
 Since no one has pointed it out explicitly: be sure to get shoes with closed lacing, that is an oxford/balmoral (as the others have pictured) rather than a derby/blucher (what you have pictured).
 One effective way I've controlled this "problem" was getting married. 3+ years into it I still sometimes think, man I should've bought these before... :)  
Right but in playing the ebay game i've come across several lovely shell pairs (that don't fit me). This pair is somehow different, shinier, plasticky-ier. wondering if there's some extra finish on the shell that i should try to remove.  I'll see if I can capture it with pictures when I get back home next week.
 Difficult for me to imagine a church wedding where this wouldn't be appropriate. If you want to show a little disrespect (for not getting invited to the party), maybe wear the navy suit coat with khakis and black shoes.
Acecow--nice, I like the pic on the right more.
Saqer, Congrats on the marriage!  You should move fast on this, as tailoring takes time. I don't know anything about Vinci but based on a quick look at the website I'm skeptical. For $500 you might be in Suit Supply range. Check out Put This On's Black Tie Guide (http://putthison.com/tagged/Black-Tie-Guide) which is about getting a tux and so on on a budget. Important will be finding a decent tailor. Move fast so there's time for the tailor to do the work! Depending on...
I acquired some shell cordovan vintage Florsheims in very good shape, however the shoes are very shiny, almost looking plasticky. They are v-cleat Royal Imperials and clearly leather. Any ideas on why this is, how to fix it?