or Connect

Posts by jdstany

Thanks Despos!  Good catch on the trouser rise—I somehow didn't even notice that.  Their policy is to pay for up to $75 of alterations at the local tailor of your choice.  If the tailor deems the suit unalterable (within reason), then you email photos and a list of specific changes the tailor recommends (e.g. -1" sleeve length, -.75" point-to-point, etc.) to the people at Black Lapel and they remake the suit accordingly.  Thanks again. -Jeff
Hello everyone.  I just got my first MTM suit from Black Lapel.  It's the cool gray in "tailored fit".  I gave the suit a very quick steaming, but I didn't go over it too carefully, so there are still some wrinkles.  Overall, it fits better than any suit I've put on OTR, but it still doesn't look right.  My thoughts are that the jacket and sleeves are both too long, the shoulders a bit too wide, there's a collar roll, and pants need to hemmed a bit shorter.  There's also...
I believe that it's an extra $200 for full canvas, putting the two at around the same price ($700 vs $750) when comparing full canvas suits.
Thanks everyone.  This is great information!
Thanks for that feedback.  One of my concerns with proper suit is that they don't show what fabrics are available at the $750 or $850 levels and I'm concerned that I'll end up spending more than I can afford to get nice fabric.  Did you two find that they had a good selection of lower priced fabrics and that they were of good quality?  Thanks again.
Yeah, I explored a few different sizes hoping that would solve the problem.  Unfortunately, every suit I've tried that fit in the chest was too big elsewhere, including the shoulders. I spent an entire Saturday going from store to store in downtown Seattle and probably tried on a hundred suits ranging from a 36S to a 42R, with no success.  Several of the salespeople and tailors that helped me said that the problem was a combination of a large chest (relative to my...
Hello.  After struggling with poorly fitting OTR suits (I can't seem to find a suit with lapels that lay flat on my chest), I've decided to give MTM a try.  I'd like half- or full-canvased and am looking to spend $500 - $800.  With that, Black Lapel and Proper Suit seem to fit the bill.  From what I've read here, and elsewhere online, they both seem to get good reviews and I'm having trouble deciding between the two.  I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both and...
Hello.  After a frustrating day of shopping, I've learned that I can't find an OTR suit that fits me (or can reasonably be tailored to do so).  With every suit I've tried on that fits in the shoulders, the lapels refuse to lay flat on my chest—in most cases with about an inch of space between my chest and the lapel.  The sales people and tailors that I spoke with all said that there's nothing they can realistically do in alterations to fix the problem.  So, I've decided...
Hello.  After a frustrating day of shopping, I've learned that I can't find an OTR suit that fits me (or can reasonably be tailored to do so).  With every suit I've tried on that fits in the shoulders, the lapels refuse to lay flat on my chest--in most cases with about an inch of space between my chest and the lapel.  The sales people and tailors that I spoke with all said that there's nothing they can realistically do in alterations to fix the problem.  So, I've decided...
Thanks for all of the advice. Very helpful.  I'll do some more asking around and try to get clearer details.  I do think that I'm over-thinking things though—I was just talking to a friend who went through this last year and he told me that several places actually instructed him before the interview that he need not wear a suit at all!