or Connect

Posts by roomiller

Beautiful watches! I love vintage Omegas!   Has anyone else read the lastest Hodinkee piece? I'm certainly not an experienced watch collector but I feel he makes some valid points, with a couple of strawmen to pad out the list. He was also a little snobbish/aggressive at some points, such as this bit "Get it right, people, otherwise you'll really look silly in front of serious watch folks."   I found #2 about Rolexes to be funny and timely, as cchen and I discussed...
 This is only tangentially related, but I absolutely understand that sentiment. I've been in two different flats while in London. The first was this ultra-modern apartment in a new high-rise. Simple and elegant furniture. Tons of really nice, high-end touches. I lived there for 10 weeks and it never fully felt like home; it was too sterile to inspire feelings of comfort.  I moved into my new place with these beautiful antique windows, exposed brick wall, a leather couch,...
Thanks Mimo - Perfect timing abound!   Nomos occupies a strange place in my heart. In terms of quality and design I know how well executed they are, particularly for the price, but they don't stimulate any feelings of "want" or "lust" deep down. Am I crazy?
Beautiful GP Winot! I think it's perfect as is.   Kaplan - I'm glad the background is out of focus so we can concentrate on the true beauty in the picture!     Popping around the Rolex Forums, it seems to be the general consensus that AD's are holding back SS sport watches(their quickest moving watches) in anticipation of a price increase in early October. A complete bummer, but at least I won't keep on my wild goose chase.   Thanks to the others for their...
Whelp just in case any of you were curious, I walked up and down Bond Street to no avail. I didn't expect to get lucky and find one today, but I had anticipated a little bit more assistance from the salespeople than the "No" and grim head shaking I received. The gentleman in the final store I stopped into even laughed when I asked if they had it, and told me not to waste my time trying to track one down. Off to a great start!   Little did he know that I have no friends...
I work in tech now, so I can count the number of times I've worn a suit in the last two years by simply naming off weddings. I'm going to wear it that day because it will be fun to finally have it after (assumed) months locked in safe - and also because I truly couldn't care less about what classic wisdom says about how I accessorize on my wedding day(he says after absolutely demanding that his wedding not be black-tie optional, due to the absurdity of the varying degrees...
I'm looking to buy a watch for my wedding(next June) and am nearing the end of a several month rotation to my company's London office and starting to think about whether I could get a better price by buying over here. Based on the weak pound and VAT refund(what % is this again?), I think I might be able to get a BLNR(assuming I can find one) for a significant discount compared to US prices. Using some back-of-napkin math, I'd save something like $2,000 compared to...
I think he wants to get a bracelet to wear alongside his watch, which *shudders*. That is a trend that I simply do not understand.
I'll admit that the gold-plated comment was simply a knee jerk reaction from a "Somethings got to give" mindset and is likely wrong. Though I don't find my suggestion about the movements to be quite as far-fetched, though of course it is simply conjecture. I wasn't suggesting that they would throw cheap or bad parts into this watch, just that movements that might not meet their exacting standards for a $25,000 watch could meet their ever-so-slightly less exacting standards...
 While the Hodinkee article doesn't mention it, the 37mm must be plated and I'm assuming the movement uses parts that don't meet the standards of the 40mm(but still within a reasonable tolerance). Still likely a fantastic watch, but we can't pretend like the only difference is 3mm and $10,000.