or Connect

Posts by LonerMatt

TBH: it's not as if I think that people an entitled to having 5 minute commutes, but I do think that a place where people doing essential jobs for the city to function at all can't live in the city is insane.   Yes, people adapt, and yes other people have unrealistic expectations (which goes both ways: employers assuming a 1-2 hour commute is just peachy aren't doing anyone any favours), but between all of this is what, to me, makes most sense: if the people keeping the...
...but by the same token if a city is too expensive for people who work vital jobs (paramedics, teachers, garbage collectors, waiters, etc) to reasonably live in (and not commute 1+ hours to get to work) then there's a huge problem, IMO.   I agree that location is often something that no one has a right to, but if a place pushes people out, or cripples them, for doing pretty essential work then there's a real issue.   To some extent that's happening in the city I live...
[[SPOILER]]  52. Wind/Pinball Mum bought this for me cause I had my wisdom teeth out, otherwise I'm not sure I would have bothered. These are two novellas that Murakami wrote very early on (I think that they are his first works). I liked Wind - it was whimsical and kind of pointless in the best way. Pinball just felt too loose, too abstract, too untethered, there was nothing really holding the different parts of the story together - it seems it's just about two different...
You must be the only one sad it's warming up.   First fit is 10/10
I'm shooting 100% film at the moment and it's a fucking blast.   I'd show pictures but I find SF so cumbersome a platform to do that.   re: exposure - depends on what you want - I like blown highlights sometimes, and I like a lot of ultra shadow high contrast stuff (underexposing in harsh light is fun fun fun)
Thanks CD!  [[SPOILER]]  51. Wolves Simon Ings' novel is pegged as a SF piece, but is a much more subtle work. Implicitly in the near future (5 years away maybe), Conrad works in Augmented Reality, as an agent and networker. The novel moves through Conrad's present - reconnecting with an old friend and the changes in their lives - and also his past - mainly dwelling on the relationships with his parents. The novel is bizarre - it's almost Murakami-esque in that not a lot...
coxy's opinions on music are insanely bad.
Japanese label guess: Bukt
[[SPOILER]] 49. Gommorah Saviano writes about the Cammora - and in a 300 page novel that moves between biography, journalism, narrative and historiography charts the people, changes, successes and failures on this Mafia group. He seems intent on emphasising their power, their business-savvy, and the way in which they are an integral part of Napolian life - at times a devastating novel, I found it hard going. At times it reads like a list - pages and pages of names and...
[[SPOILER]]  48. Golden Boys CD reviewed this on the previous page (I believe), so I won't delve too much into retelling. The novel is essentially about children being trapped by their parents - the ways in which the lives their parents lead, the interests their parents have, shape, affect and trap each child - regardless of social standing. At times a harrowing book, not in it's overstatement - but in it's cut-throat realism, I found this compelling and close to the bone...