or Connect

Posts by LonerMatt

coxy's opinions on music are insanely bad.
Japanese label guess: Bukt
[[SPOILER]] 49. Gommorah Saviano writes about the Cammora - and in a 300 page novel that moves between biography, journalism, narrative and historiography charts the people, changes, successes and failures on this Mafia group. He seems intent on emphasising their power, their business-savvy, and the way in which they are an integral part of Napolian life - at times a devastating novel, I found it hard going. At times it reads like a list - pages and pages of names and...
[[SPOILER]]  48. Golden Boys CD reviewed this on the previous page (I believe), so I won't delve too much into retelling. The novel is essentially about children being trapped by their parents - the ways in which the lives their parents lead, the interests their parents have, shape, affect and trap each child - regardless of social standing. At times a harrowing book, not in it's overstatement - but in it's cut-throat realism, I found this compelling and close to the bone...
Aus members:   Heading overseas soon for an extended period of time (perhaps a few years, perhaps longer).   Applied for the 28 degrees credit card, is the citibank everyday account the best one to use while overseas? Just looking for as few currency conversion, ATM withdrawal fees, etc, as possible. Once I get settled I'll open up a bank account in the country, but that'll be a few months in.
Probs gonna grab the grey coat.
The fifth book in The Expanse series - written by James S.A. Corey. This was one of the better books of the five that have been written. it starts with a tired, spent crew re-docking at a space station, and three of the four members requesting leave for personal reasons. The narrative is initially woven around these characters, going through mundane pasts and trying to resolve situations that are nuanced, relatable, but normal. I found this an incredibly refreshing...
[[SPOILER]]  47. Nemesis Games The fifth book in The Expanse series - written by James S.A. Corey. This was one of the better books of the five that have been written. it starts with a tired, spent crew re-docking at a space station, and three of the four members requesting leave for personal reasons. The narrative is initially woven around these characters, going through mundane pasts and trying to resolve situations that are nuanced, relatable, but normal. I found this...
Reading the 5th book in the Expanse - I have a lot of thoughts I will write up when it's done. Suffice to say I wish SF/fantasy authors would write a book about the characters without the end of the world stuff once in awhile - readers are invested and interested, there doesn't have to be an external catastrophe (there's already been 4!), to make the story interesting. Blah blah.
[[SPOILER]]  46. Prince of Fools Slightly gritty fantasy that managed to not have an obnoxiously confident sarcastic character reminiscent of a smug 14 year old. For that alone it was refreshing. Not amazing, just refreshing. Not sure if I'll look at the rest of the series, was kinda fun, but that was about it.