or Connect

Posts by LonerMatt

[[SPOILER]] 33. The Psychopath Test Another Jon Ronson novel - this one about the madness industry. The novel romps along at a good pace - it's much more focused than 'Them', and has a lot of interesting ruminations on madness and insanity. Ronson takes a course that enables him to identify psycopaths, and then goes around realising how warped his perception of other people has become because the test is constantly running through his mind. He also then reflects on how...
Maybe there aren't any solutions so there's not much hope :(
 Apparently there are good arguments for leave that are not related to either points. Which I think is entirely possible. They just weren't the points most leave voters cared about.
 I would agree that wealth inequality is a driver of dis-satisfaction, but I think it's disingenuous to attribute that to modern institutions. Britain has always been an incredibly unequal society - it was feudal and the industrial revolution and the 20th century haven't really changed inequality that much - life is better for everyone, sure, but the landed gentry are still the landed gentry. There are areas I pass every day that some old bloke owns and will always own as...
I have so many thoughts about the decision - and I think that living here during the campaign has shown me just how classist and ugly politics is in this country.   I don't know how economics or trade will play out - so I'll leave that for others to bandy about. But I think when the total amount lost in a single day is greater than total fees paid for EU membership to date, that's going to be an impressive feat to top.   What I do worry about is that this victory will...
Raw denim has always been bizarre to me - mainly because I don't see any sense in putting in that much work into a pair of pants.
;)
 I'll take your word for it - I haven't been in a few months. Is it really that bad just to walk down and enter a shop?
@conceptual 4est   If you play guitar head to Denmark Street. Definitely.   Clare de Rouen books (on Tottenham Court Road but not where the works are) is an excellent art/fashion book store and has loads of good stuff. Foyles is also lovely, but I imagine NYC has big fuck off book stores too.   V and A is pretty good, and the Barbican has a great exhibition on as well. London also has great parks - Hyde, Richard, Hampsted Heath, worth a visit and a relax.   Food...
[[SPOILER]] 32. Them Jon Ronson is a really entertaining writer who manages to write about people and topics that beg for derision with some wit, humanity and empathy. In this book he talks to extremists, conspiracy theorists and fringe theorists about a range of topics. In many cases people blame the Jews (Ronson is one) for the ills of the world and assume there is a small oligarchy controlling and manipulating all aspects of social, political and economic life. The...