or Connect

Posts by LonerMatt

Discontinued - the equivalent is the alpha line, AFAIK.
 What? Red Dog? ;) But I'm happy for you to suggest wicked sick titles of great books. btw - I think CD, GF and I do a pretty good job of reviewing recently released Australian novels, and I'm doing my best to get through some older works.
68. Taipei   This novel comes from that smug and lonely NYC/East Coast bubble of pretentious hacks who lack any vision, ability, perspective or authority. It is a meandering and dull waste of time that follows Paul (obviously the writer Tao Lin) as he ingests a lot of drugs and awkwardly achieves nothing of consequence. Dialogue focuses around nothing, everyone avoiding making choices, half heartedly agreeing to do drugs, etc. None of the characters are interesting,...
 I was tutoring groups of students that day. I remember just lying on a desk at about 1pm unable to even think. A few years later it was the same temperature in the Mallee and I was all 'cmon, no one should have to do this TWICE'
[[SPOILER]]  68. Taipei This novel comes from that smug and lonely NYC/East Coast bubble of pretensious hacks who lack any vision, ability, perspective or authority. It is a meandering and dull waste of time that follows Paul (obviously the writer Tao Lin) as he ingests a lot of drugs and awkwardly achieves nothing of consequence. Dialogue focuses around nothing, everyone avoiding making choices, half heartedly agreeing to do drugs, etc. None of the characters are...
 Tonnes of books my Mum will get me (she has access to my bookdepository wishlist). However, a couple of Australian books:- A wrong turn at the office of unmade lists- Gardens of Fire
[[SPOILER]]  67. The Outsider I read this when I was 16, and it didn't make much sense. I re-read it today (9 years later) and it didn't make much sense. Even now that I have some familiarity with existentialism and absurdism, this novel is a really awkward way to describe either, the main character simply reflecting that nothing has any point and everything is all the same. Instead of using the circumstances of the main character to explore the philosophies, Camus leaves...
Mistborn series was epic.   Am I the only one to have given up on Gravity's Rainbow (not once, but twice!)?
Sounds rad, LJ, keep the travel stories coming.
66. Holy Fire   Bruce Sterling's novel, Holy Fire, is apparently an important part of the cyberpunnk genre. Yet, when reading it I'm not immediately sure why. The narrative concerns itself with Mia - an old woman whose life has been prolonged (as have most elderly people) almost indefinitely. She lives in a world that's stable and constant, but perhaps lifeless. After realising her lack of verve, she undergoes experimental treatment to recapture her youth and lives now...