or Connect

Posts by LonerMatt

Ha! If your method is: walk into Dymocks on Collins St, head to the Australian Literature section, pick out a book (that generally 'Kym' loves) and go from there, then we are on the same page. Recommended this (and Shadwboxing) to be studied for Year 9s next year.
[[SPOILER]]  29. Past the Shallows Favel Parrett's debut novel is a pretty intense read about the lives of three brothers: Joe, Miles and Harry. Living on the south-east coast of Tasmania, the brothers grow up in the shadow of their father's moods - which are often dark, destructive and abusive. The plot of this text is very simple and straightforward and takes place over a single school holiday. The strength is in the character of Harry and the boy's father. THe writing...
[[SPOILER]]  28. Fight Club Given how often I misspell author's names I'm not even going to try with this one (I'm not sorry, I really do not pay attention or bother to look them up). I never got this movie. I always enjoyed it. I feel the same about the book. It wasn't as shocking or entertaining having seen the movie 3-4 times, but it was still an interesting read. I've no idea what the author is trying to get at, nor what the book is trying to say. I feel that's always...
[[SPOILER]]  27. It's Complicated Dana Boyd is a researcher who has spent seven or eight years researching how teens use social media. This non-fiction book presents his findings and his opinions, as well as many perspectives on teens, their use of social media, and parental and social reactions to those things. Boyd paints a broad picture about teens being basically fine, and in many cases the parents and society around them assuming more than is fair. Boyd provides...
Honestly, I find Gaiman a bit formulaic, so if you've read a lot of his books yeah it's nice, but nothing new.   If you've only read one or two it should be pretty fun.   IIRC, you've only read 3-4?   My Mum has this belief that I'm a huge Gaiman fan and buys me everything to do with Gaiman, but really I don't have the heart to tell her I only half like him.
 Well I guess it's not just that distressed look - I don't know anything that looks like Guidi - except maybe MA +.
 Maybe I'm not the best person to address this - I tend to find a lot of the designer philosophies and perspectives a little superfluous and ridiculous. However, there's a quote from another forum that's loved which is: "The main principle in design should be to make shit look sick as fuck". I think this is basically what drives a lot of purchases, choices and excuses. Guidis look really, really good worn, a lot of the time. The people that design and make them know what...
 I'm sure some of the knee-high, etc boots are really expensive, but then they do use significantly more leather and weigh more. I think you're maybe conflating 'design' with 'quality' - Guidis (along with many artisinal boots/shoes) are meant to look slightly deformed, ugly and misshapen. However, while the looks are not for everyone they do hold up incredibly well. One member - nicelynice - has a pair he's done literally everything in - salt laden slush in the snow,...
 Visvim is a joke - the pricing continually goes up even though the quality is the same. JM: Guidis aren't $1500 or more, even the most expensive leather models are $1200/$1300 AUD. They are incredibly well made though. If you want insane pricing look at Paul Harnden - just beyond ridiculous - $800 for a cotton shirt, $2500 for a jacket, etc. Buttons don't even stay on.
[[SPOILER]]  26. Trigger Warning Neil Gaiman's short story collection. Loved a few, most were OK, a few bored me to tears. The introduction (as always with his work) was really interesting. Especially loved him riffing on Holmes and Dr. Who (neither of which have ever done much more me, though I always thought they were good at what they were). I'd kind of like to read a collection of stories by authors doing a version of someone else's work they loved. Eerie, creepy,...