or Connect

Posts by wimsey

I think people who wear monochrome want to look "edgy," but it usually comes off looking cheap.  It looks kind of okay on this guy, but he's a model wearing a MTM suit.  (For the record, I think the suit and shirt are both shades of blue; not sure about the pocket square).   Gauss17's advice is good.  I might go for a bolder/more colorful tie and silk knot cufflinks that pick up a color in the tie.  I would avoid the suit-with-open shirt look: it says a lot of...
I actually asked my tailor about this several years ago (for dancing purposes, not for spy purposes).  His answer was that regular suit jackets couldn't both look right and give you much mobility.  The way the arms attach to the body of the jacket, specifically, means that you can raise and lower your arms freely parallel to your body, but raising them perpendicularly would always be somewhat restricted.   I later learned that actual ballroom dancers that you see in...
How far out of your comfort zone do you want to get?  A classic look would be a white (or cream) linen suit, spectator shoes, a white shirt, and a ribbon/string tie.  With a white hat.
I'm about your size, with small feet (size 6), and I tend to think that more substantial shoes look better on me as well (say, Florsheim Imperial Longwings).  I think it may be because it makes my feet look more "normal" sized.  I have an older pair of J&M cap toes which I rarely wear because they look so stubby by comparison.     On your other rules: (1) I think monochromatic colors help; (2) I don't think no cuffs helps much - maybe if you are 5'7 trying to look taller,...