or Connect

Posts by dirnelli

This thread is facsinating to follow, I've created a monster, now running loose... I want to thank @NickPollica for joining in the discussion, I think his explanations were very clear and transparent. It's great when brands join forum discussions to defend their positions, I think we ought to respect that, and encourage more of it, possibly by dialling-down the name-calling, otherwise we'll no longer see brands willing to engage in online discussions. (The brands I speak...
I like the Patrick Johnson Tailor's analogy: I think everybody agrees that PJT should be considered an Australian brand, even if it is selling an Italian-styled suit. The food analogy doesn't work quite so well: while Chinese or Indian food sold outside of their homeland tends to be very different from the original flavor, the Eidos & PJT suits we're talking about actually resemble in every possible way the original styling of suits in the homeland country.
A) I am not encouraging anything, merely describing a state of human affairs, which we may indeed all deplore, but it doesn't make it any less real or relevantB) is a phenomena 'superficial' when it possibly accounts for 99.9% of people's buying decisions, rightly or wrongly. Again, I'm not saying this is a good or fair thing, I'm just saying this is reality. Sure 'Don't judge a book by it's cover blah blah'. But in fact, most humans do.
I agree: buying an 'Argentinian' watch would not feel quite as pleasing as buying a 'Swiss' watch. That's how we reason as consumers. Anyone who thinks they make their buying decisions completely emancipated from marketing brainwashing & cultural biaises is fooling themselves.
That's a very good comparaison, and I must say that Barbera has always puzzled me in the same way Eidos does today: an italian product made for the american market, but with roots in Italy. So in establishing nationality, the hard-to-define notion of roots (a mushy cultural & social reference) may turn out to be the determining factor. The arguments in this thread are making me change my vote on EN. Bravo SF.
Not knowing the pre-Antonio history of EN, I was under the misguided impression that he created the brand. Now it appears he revived it or relaunched it or gave it new life, whatever. So that makes it more credible to say that it's an italian brand. But an italian brand that no one has ever heard of in Italy or Europe before they became big in America. So, going back to when they were 100% Italian, did they create themselves solely as a vehicle for the US market, having no...
To be clear, I was poking fun at Esquire for buying into the Eidos marketing without an ounce of due diligence.
Disclaimer: Before anybody suspects me of not liking Eidos, let me restate that I have been an Eidos fanboy since Day 1, and I've gone out of my way to acquire the product, which is not readily available to me in Europe. Ciongoli is one heck of a designer (and marketer), I have nothing but respect for the man and the brand. Really nice guy, to boot. Having said this, I probably would not be making this fuss if the word 'Napoli' was not on the label. When a brand puts say...
FWIW: 'owned by ISAIA' does not infer that Eidos is of ISAIA-topline 'Red Coral' quality. Eidos is made in ISAIA's Michelangelo factory, where the lower quality suits get manufactured for a host of brands from around the globe.
I've been having an online debate about whether we should consider Eidos Napoli an American or an Italian brand.   The blog posts on this debate can be found here:   http://dirnelli.tumblr.com/post/127487626430/ivorytowerstyle-who-cares-where-a-brand-is   Help us decide by voting in our poll.   Thanks