or Connect

Posts by JermynStreet

How can one puncture thick leather with a hog bristle? Wouldn't it be too flexible?
10 months in the making, but here are mine.
Why not have aluminum nails? They don't rust, are light, and are strong.
Is it possible to do a blind welt around an entire shoe? I know this is the preferred method of welting for a bespoke shoe's waist, but why don't more shoemakers prefer blind welts around the front part of the shoe?
Update: Antonio emailed me back; he said in Italian toe spring is called "Camminata"
Can any of my Italian friends help me out? I am trying to explain to Antonio that I want a little more toe spring in my Aurum pair he is making for me; does anyone know how to translate this concept into Italian? Thanks much in advance.
Is it full grain?
Thanks for your answer.How would sewing through several layers of hard leather even be physically possible with the technology of the 18th century at a relatively high spi? What technique was used? Were their needles and awls hard enough not to bend under the pressure? Sheffield steel is legendary for its strength...but how strong was it?
Again, DWF, thanks.
On the topic of pegs, I noticed that shoemaker Antonio Meccariello is particularly disdainful of pegs, especially in the waist (See https://www.instagram.com/p/6aaFjOxA3q/?taken-by=a.meccariello&hl=en) . I know DWF prefers using pegs. What are the arguments for and against use of pegs?