or Connect

Posts by Stone

Working with Ken and Miki (Ken's wife - in my experience they work very much as a duo) was a great experience overall. They're both incredibly nice and professional. Communication in English was easy with Miki. Ken is very clearly a perfectionist - the initial measuring process was very thorough, and during the fittings he took a very methodical approach to correcting different aspects of the fit. It's a medium-dark gray (lighter than charcoal) pinhead worsted - just a...
(Grainy iPhone pic and awkward stance, but...) Kenjiro Suzuki comments: -construction is beautiful, the buttonholes, long French seams along the outsides of the sleeves and trousers, an extra flap of fabric at the vents. -I'd gained some weight since the last fitting (and was picking up the suit after a couple weeks of travel, eating lots of good food and not exercising), so the pants are a little tight at the thigh. -love the way the different angles and curves on...
I talked with him about a split toe. He recommended against it, saying that it was too country for aurum. Makes sense.
Haha, yes. Final tweak is that I asked for them as single monk strap chukkas - a new Aurum design. Can't wait to get them.
Yeah, it was really impressive in person. It must have been 4mm thick (Antonio said he was going to need to thin the leather out), but surprisingly soft, almost spongy.
Edited for Piobaire's benefit:Does Rombauer Chardonnay come in double magnums?
Bison for the test shoes because Antonio had an impressive piece of dark brown bison in his showroom, and I thought the thick, grainy leather would help me gauge the feel of elephant. Elephant for the final pair because I thought it'd be awesome.The shoe trees are amazing and well worth the money.
Was being sarcastic - thought it was funny that some people were so interested in the value of the test shoes as a separate wearable pair, rather than as an aid to the fit of the Aurum shoes (you know, a "test" shoe). That said, I met with Antonio today, and ended up going for a pair of Aurum crust elephant chukkas - with the test chukkas in dark brown bison. I'm paying a (reasonable) up charge for both leathers. The level of finish on the "test shoes" is pretty...
Do you have to buy Aurum shoes in order to purchase test shoes? If not, then you could get the equivalent of five or six pairs of entry level Santoni shoes for the price of one pair of Aurum shoes. What a deal!