or Connect

Posts by westling

I just spoke with Hetom, the owner of Sky Valet, and he guessed (with emphasis on "guess") you might be a 10G for the 341 last. He said that the 341 is much narrower and sleeker than the 325. Also, also the 341 doesn't come in E, only C and G (with G being the equivalent of a U.S. EE). Hope this helps.
 I just checked with the owner -- it's not in stock but could be ordered, price would be $550.
Sky Valet Shoes (Washington, DC) has a new web site: http://skyvaletshoes.com   The owner of Sky Valet is extremely knowledgeable. I'm trying to coax him into making some YouTube videos on shoe selection, fitting, care, etc.
 Which UK stores have better prices? I've looked at a few and the prices are comparable to those at Sky Valet Shoes (which also offers free shipping in the U.S.). Here's their Crockett & Jones product page. Full disclosure: I recently helped Sky Valet set up their new web site. There are a few C&J models that aren't shown yet on the site (e.g., Cottesmore, Coniston)  because I haven't gotten around to adding them. If anyone's interested in a model not shown, please let me...
  FYI, the markings suggest it was made by Cheaney. (See very similar markings in this thread.) Also -- and this might just be me, or the particular last used for my old pair of Cheaneys -- they feel smaller than the same size in Allen Edmonds. I'm very comfortable in an AE 9.5D but a Cheaney 9.5D felt a little cramped both in length and around the toes. Hope this is useful.
  Thanks, that's interesting. I've never seen them on casual jackets or coats before and was surprised to see them this time. But now that you mention it, maybe I've never seen them because I never looked that closely.
Had a pretty good day. And a pretty good yesterday, too.   At lunch I popped into the thrift store down the block and found these. From left to right: John Varvatos made in Italy; unknown made in France (see teaser for the tag; any ideas would be welcomed!); Atelson Collection super 130s (anyone know this brand?); and my very first Zanella unicorn. All of these are about an inch too small in the waist for me; thus, they strengthen my resolve to drop more poundage. In...
Congrats! I love it when I'm able to do that!   I've gotten into the mode of scanning the pants racks for pinstripe, plaid, nailhead, or any other pants that suggest they were part of a suit, grabbing several of them, then trying to find their matching jackets. I've always felt that I'm more likely to find orphaned jackets than orphaned pants so starting with the pants makes the job easier. That's the theory, anyway.
  My guess is that some people think they can get away with it because it's "not a real store". On the same note, many thrift stores I've been to around here, especially the tiny charities, have big problems with shoplifting. Maybe they confuse "cheap" with "free", or they decide that the elderly volunteers who run the place won't care. Probably some interesting behavioral economics going on here.
Almost forgot to mention this:   Anyone need a pair of burgundy AE Sanfords in size 15D? Will proxy. I think these are the biggest shoes I've ever seen (or at least bothered to look at) at a thrift store. If all else fails, they'll make classy clown shoes.