or Connect

Posts by Tidybeard

Quote: Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH This is typical of all shell. In my experience yes (including a number of pairs from other makers), although there are numerous threads around suggesting that other members' shell is unaffected by rain. To be fair, you gave me some good advice in a similar thread about a coat of wax polish on shell that does seem to have improved things a little, so thank you.
Quote: Originally Posted by PERhodes Just happened to see this thread back at the top. I ended up buying one last week - 2008 A8L black on black. Sir has excellent taste. All the cool kids are driving black on black A8s
Just a word of caution on the crup (which is, of course, shell cordovan). I have Lancaster and Shannon (the other two storm welted "heavy" Church's in the range) in crup and they welt horribly when wet. I'm not sure what shell Church's uses but my experience of them is although they look nice when polished and are comfortable, they are high-maintenance if you live in a damp climate. I got so peeved with crup that I got my Graftons in black binder (nowhere near as...
Quote: Originally Posted by MBreinin He had to actually claw my jeans off of the ironing board in order to piss on them. Jeans on the ironing board, eh? Icewash, high waisted, loose fit I assume? In some countries, cat piss on shoes is apparently considered "patina". Fuuma or Distinctive are the experts here.
Depends on budget really. Filson makes some nice wool coats, I have their Yukon wool weekender and it's well made and practical (not fully waterproof though). They also make waxed cotton (a la Barbour) - I'm not a fan of these as they just don't breathe. Personally I like the tweed field coat. I have one from Laksen in Scottish tweed with gore-tex lining which works well. I also have one of their cordura/gore-tex field coats which isn't particularly stylish but is very...
I visited Bateman Ogden in Bradford today (a cloth lover's paradise) and came away with some lovely 20oz dark brown herringbone tweed and some light brown moleskin. I'm going to have some trousers made from the moleskin but am still undecided on the tweed. I do want a jacket and first thought was a standardish 2B with patch pockets but I'm not sure. Perhaps an above the knee 4B ghillie collar coat? I have 2.6m and am a 44, would love to hear/see some...
Both are very good, solid shoes that will last a long time. Grafton can be found on 3 lasts (100, 73 and 173) and IMO it looks and fits quite different on each. 100 is more chunky, 173 a bit more sleek, for example. It's also available on Dainite or double leather soles and in binder, calf or shell. Keswick is a lot more "country" with a much more rounded chunky last (although in reality both are extremely hefty shoes compared to something like a C&J handgrade). Depends...
I have Grafton on Dainite and Trickers (Wetherby) on Commando. There's not much in it for me. The Grafton are on the 173 last and took forever to break in. The Commando soles on the Trickers are pretty hard too, certainly not soft like a Vibram sole. Neither are what I'd call comfortable. The Commando is much better for grip in mud but picks up little stones in the tread all the time which drives me mad. For a non-country shoe for wet weather I'd go with Dainite.
Quote: Originally Posted by NORE Barker, then. Very good. Yes, Abingdon from the Anniversary range. http://www.pediwear.co.uk/barker/products/3317.php I haven't tried Barker before but the Anni range is very nice - good to see the lower-end makers are able to turn out something decent when they put their mind to it. I'd like to see them do well this range but at the same price as C&J benchgrade I think they have their work cut out (they...
Quote: Originally Posted by NORE Swimms? No, although I'm quite impressed with the beading on the car after the polish/seal I put on.