or Connect

Posts by Simon A

I would not recommend Yorkshire Fabric. I ordered several items at once after securing a quote from them for combined shipping. Paid through Paypal with the full freight cost, and awaited my Paypal rebate for the combined freight.......I received some of it but not all. Four emails to the vendor went unanswered until I kicked up a stink with eBay. End result was I paid double the quoted amount for freight, which almost exceeded the value of the cloth. Either demand a...
I think a brown tweed or flannel suit is great weekend wear and very chic. I would lose the pink socks though.......  
Hong Kong in December/January can be 6 degrees, 95% humidity and with Siberian gales blowing. You might only get a month or six weeks a year out of your tweed jacket, but if you like outdoor activity you will be thankful for it.
It is called a Russell Check.
Great find Fishball, what a riot of colour up close but so subtle from distance. A little like the old Reid and Taylor country twist suitings. I hope it makes up well for you.
I would like 3 metres of the C iteration.
The H-range tweeds from Islay Mill are thornproof-style sporting tweeds and can handle abrasion or snagging without incident. Very good for sporting trousers.   http://www.islaywoollenmill.co.uk/shop/tweeds/h-range/
The short answer is, use a pattern that you like! Herringbone and houndstooth are pretty uncontroversial patterns and would make a good first suit. Honking loud checks, like the Harris Tweed Tartans, are perhaps best left for when you feel more adventurous.   Some family-owned mills which make excellent, very reasonably priced tweeds without merchants' markups can be viewed below. I have garments made from each of their tweeds and I am very happy with them.   Islay...
No. 1 is good, barleycorn with overcheck, very subtle.