or Connect

Posts by Mdkeene

Though normally I wouldn't be quick to say this, tradition is becoming less of an issue every time I speak to someone about the suit. Don't get me wrong. I know there are many rules when it comes to formal dress, but I think this is one of those times where I could break all rules and get away with it without insulting anyone. I spoke with my tailor and my father in law, who both have attended many weddings, know about formal dress, know the Spanish culture when it...
Marcodalondra, those last two photos are great. I hadn't yet seen the royal blue morning coat look good, but that combination there looks very nice. Were the trousers plain grey or did they have a subtle pattern? It's difficult to tell from the pictures. You mentioned that in a church setting you would rather see the royal blue than black tie, could you tell me why? Just out of curiosity, as I really like the royal blue jackets in those pictures. My tailor is a quite...
ImTheGroom and Marcodalondra,   You both make good points that serve as great advice.     What I really wanted to know, has been answered and explained.     I´m not sure what customs regarding weddings are like in the United States, or in most other countries for that matter, but I know that here in Spain morning dress is the norm.  However, I also know that, as I said before, most people don´t quite know the rules and customs when it comes to morning dress.  Morning...
Gherrmann , good point. I think the formality of the suit won't be too much of an issue. People around here, and certainly those that will attend our wedding probably won't even realize this. It seems that as long as they see a waistcoat and a jacket that's long in the back, you're fine. It's one of those things people expect even though they know nothing about the why and how of it. Silly...but true.
It's interesting you say this, as it's something I was wondering about. Prince Charles seems to love them though and I've noticed he's worn an all grey morning suit to the Royal Ascot as well. I figured that if it's good enough for him, I should be alright.The cost of an extra jacket doesn't concern me too much. My tailor already has my measurements and patterns of other jackets. If I use one of the patterns of a previous jacket, he'll drop the price quite a...
Hi all, Since Saturday I'm engaged to be married. We're getting married in September of 2014, which seems far away but time flies and so I want to already make a decision on what I'm going to have my tailor make me. I live in Spain where the groom and his groomsmen normally wear morning wear or strollers. I'd love to have a morning suit but at this point in time it seems like quite a big expense for something I'll only wear once or twice in my life. Therefore I was...
Hi all, I´m thinking of having my tailor make me not so much a suit, but rather an outfit, for lack of a better word.  I´d like to have him make me a pair of navy trousers, a navy pinstripe sportcoat or blazer, and a grey vest/waiscoat (depending on which side of the pond you are).   The navy trousers and the grey vest should look fine, what I´m unsure about is the pinstripe jacket.  Often times I find that a pinstripe jacket looks a bit off when it´s not worn with...
So we have a friend´s wedding this Friday, and it´s going to be raining and cold.  We live in Spain, where rain is not as common as it is in some of the northern European countries, and cold in May is very uncommon.  We´ll be having both though. The ceremony will be in a church, and the rest will be in a castle, so heating won´t be plentiful.   I ditched the fine grey suit, and will be wearing a heavy wool one, so the cold shouldn´t get to me.  However, the rain...
Oh yes, I just do what the rest does. It seems like the safest thing to do while learning. Of course, I could just go ahead and do something different but since I dont know why the rest avoids patterned suits I may insult someone if I do something different. I prefer finding the reasons behind things and then deciding whether or not to break away from the flock. Please do tell me though, why are pinstripes and patterns not done at weddings? Assuming you dont sheepishly...
Even though I agree and wouldnt wear a pinstripe or any patterned suit to a wedding, I wonder why that is. Werent patterned suits made as a less boring option tothe regular non-patterned suits? And wouldnt a wedding be the perfect moment to wear something nice and fun to stand out a bit? I wouldnt do it because I know youre not supposed to, but I would like to.