or Connect

Posts by Sevcom

Quote: He also did a lot of work with the Talking Heads, who are also idols of mine. I went to a David Byrne show last week--it was incredible. His solo stuff was intriguing (though sometimes head-scratching), but when he busted out his Talking Heads stuff, the crowd exploded. Everyone went nuts over Psycho Killer, Once in a Lifetime and Road to Nowhere; they were dancing on top of their seats, hooting and singing along. Two-and-a-half hour show,...
I just tried it out on two broadcloth shirts. One was a medium blue with cream candy stripes that came out like a champ. The other was a plain sky-blue shirt that unfortunately now bears the sad, ghostly image of a pocket. I'm going to try washing it again and then ironing it to see if the pinholes will go away.
Right now, it's: Lucinda Williams The Rapture Bright Eyes Kanye West Postal Service OutKast Morrissey The Roots Public Enemy Leonard Cohen Damien Rice The Secret Machines
Quote: So what are the 21st century ultimate news sources? Probably blogs that feature independent reporting, though calling them 'ultimate news sources' is hoping for too much.
After all the hoopla surrounding it, I'm interested in seeing it. However, Moore seems more about self-promotion than anything, and he has a habitual problem with getting his facts straight. Check out Spinsanity, which fact-checks Bowling for Columbine and Dude, Where's My Country?, among other works. Some of the points he tries to make are worth making, but twisting the facts beyond recognition to do so doesn't help. It also doesn't help that he often portrays himself as...
Quote: brosnan in thomas crowne affair was some nice stuff.  didn't he wear a tux in the dance scene with rene russo?  his bowtie was undone, but i thought he had a tux on. The movie's producers put him in a tuxedo all right, but with a white tie that was undone. That, they argued, was not a tuxedo. 'Course, the whole focus of the scene was that dress ...
It's really a personal issue. As others have pointed out, most colleges have tons of computers in computer labs, libraries, kiosks, etc., so you're never really at a loss for one. At least for me, having a laptop meant I could work on a machine with my own settings and all my other papers/documents, so I could refer to them easily. The laptop also meant that I could work outside of my room, and when all the computers in the library/labs were taken, I could still plop down...
Other than the Times and the WSJ, my go-to picks on the national front are the Washington Post, sometimes the LA Times (especially Ron Brownstein's political analysis) and sometimes USA Today. Non-US papers I read often are the International Herald-Tribune, the Guardian, the London Times and the London Telegraph. I'll read stuff in Le Monde or Ha'aretz if it's linked to in an article.
Quote: With some exceptions of course, it has been my experience that light suits are standard summer garb at southern law firms (including mine) or Fed. offices. Especially in NOLA. Matlock and Atticus Finch weren't rebels, they were just wearing the uniform. Judging by the Atlanta firm where I work now, it's mostly the partners who wear light suits; one of the senior partners actually strolls in with a seersucker suit pretty regularly come July or...
Quote: Being concerned with a label is much more an upper-class trait (at least they can / are able to take it to the highest extreme), in my honest opinion. Take the previous thread about the $30 thousand Hermes bags, middle-class (even upper middles class) families / individual, cannot / do not spend $30 thousand on a single handbag. If labels were not important, Cartier would not spend millions every year going after counterfeiters of their merchandise,...