or Connect

Posts by Sevcom

Right now, it's: Lucinda Williams The Rapture Bright Eyes Kanye West Postal Service OutKast Morrissey The Roots Public Enemy Leonard Cohen Damien Rice The Secret Machines
Quote: brosnan in thomas crowne affair was some nice stuff.  didn't he wear a tux in the dance scene with rene russo?  his bowtie was undone, but i thought he had a tux on. The movie's producers put him in a tuxedo all right, but with a white tie that was undone. That, they argued, was not a tuxedo. 'Course, the whole focus of the scene was that dress ...
It's really a personal issue. As others have pointed out, most colleges have tons of computers in computer labs, libraries, kiosks, etc., so you're never really at a loss for one. At least for me, having a laptop meant I could work on a machine with my own settings and all my other papers/documents, so I could refer to them easily. The laptop also meant that I could work outside of my room, and when all the computers in the library/labs were taken, I could still plop down...
Quote: With some exceptions of course, it has been my experience that light suits are standard summer garb at southern law firms (including mine) or Fed. offices. Especially in NOLA. Matlock and Atticus Finch weren't rebels, they were just wearing the uniform. Judging by the Atlanta firm where I work now, it's mostly the partners who wear light suits; one of the senior partners actually strolls in with a seersucker suit pretty regularly come July or...
Quote: Being concerned with a label is much more an upper-class trait (at least they can / are able to take it to the highest extreme), in my honest opinion. Take the previous thread about the $30 thousand Hermes bags, middle-class (even upper middles class) families / individual, cannot / do not spend $30 thousand on a single handbag. If labels were not important, Cartier would not spend millions every year going after counterfeiters of their merchandise,...
Quote: Um, what are you buying at 3 in the morning? Booze, cigarettes, various items to satiate the munchies, Advil, Altoids ... It's good to know if you need something, you can get it. And it doesn't even have to be illegal; most times for me, it ain't. Living in a city is the life, personally. There's so much collected in one place: want to skip from a posh coffee shop to a rare vinyl store to the Whitney Biennial to a pizza place to umpteen bars,...
I may be mistaken here, but I don't think the average Kelly or Birkin bag costs anywhere near $30K. A female friend said that plain calfskin ones start around $5K, and go up to about $12-15K for alligator (and the bags are all essentially MTM, since you request size, leather type, etc.). Special requests, like diamond inlays or Hermes silk scarf linings, would obviously drive up the price. Maybe the $30K was for a vintage bag with uniqe features? I'm not denying the skill...
Quote: A shotgun can get cumbersome when you need to make fast movements.  Plus, the recoil, limited round capacity, and size can be drawbacks.  I guess each one has it's perks. True. Still, I'd probably pick a shotgun because a) you're more likely to hit something, and most likely any intruders, b) it's more intimidating than most pistols, and therefore c) I'd hope the odds are I won't have to use it. Besides, with a decent stance, a 20-gauge...
Quote: I plan on purchasing a handgun when I turn 21.  I believe that home defense is important.   For home defense, I'd think you'd want a shotgun--handgun bullets have the nasty tendency to penetrate walls pretty well. Besides, it's easier to obtain the former, and easier to handle in high-stress situations absent rigorous training. Although, statistically, I don't know how much worth any sort of gun for home defense has. NavyStyles, like others...
Quote: Also, Robert Redford in his Cool Hand Luke days. You mean Paul Newman? If so, I second that. He was a little goofier in Butch Cassidy (co-starring Redford), but still a very cool mofo. As for wearing suits for clubbing, etc, I think you can get away with a simple lace-up or monkstrap. It'd have to be plain and slim--I'm thinking John Lobb's Perrier. No double soles, no wingtips, no cap-toes.