or Connect

Posts by Sevcom

It looks pretty cool. The only things I'd change, as others have mentioned, are the sleeve length (shorten slightly) and the trouser length (shorten slightly more). Unfortunately, with the buttons spaced out that far horizontally, I'd look a little too stout in that jacket.
Quote: I see the denim gurus have weighed in. The Nudie Jeans look great... Anywhere in the US non NY/LA where Nudie Jeans might be available? Also, are they Evisu-pricey or just PDC-pricey? Eh, probably not much there for a 34-36 waist anyhow... I don't know if they're available outside the NYC/LA areas, but they definitely come in sizes 34 and 36. They're priced more like Paper Denims, about $176 for the Regular Ralf model. (Sidebar: the unwashed...
Quote: Think Olga Berluti - Russian, think about the time of Berluti's openings of worldwide stores, quite simple really. Except Olga Berluti and her family are French by way of Italy, and have worked and sold their wares in Paris for more than a century.
Stopped by today and checked out the shoe selection; unfortunately, nothing in the 8.5 to 9 range really piqued my interest. Most were non-descript Bruno Magli corrected-grain contraptions. The only things that remotely caught my eye were a pair of Peluso suede chukkas and a pair of Y3s, marked down to about $100 and change. Maybe I'll swing by again and pick them up for eBaying. There's actually not a bad selection in some other areas; a lot of suits and sport coats,...
Quote: "Businessmen" have a uniform that can be roughly defined by that, but senators and congressmen are more specific: it's a navy or charcoal two-button sack-style suit with a center vent; a basic shirt, an Hermes necktie, black shoes (they love tassel loafers), and a modest wristwatch. Maybe Erickson's extrapolating from Kerry, but the average American pol wears a navy suit from Jos Banks or Brooks, white point- or medium-spread-collared shirt,...
Quote: The way I understand the rule, if the ship to state doesnt charge sales tax (like NJ on clothes) then even if they have a location in state then there is no tax, however if you are buying from an out of state store but they have an in state store at the ship to location then they have to charge you tax since they ship to a taxable state. This is what I was meant. D'oh. NM and the Gap do indeed have NJ stores, but NJ doesn't charge sales tax.
Quote: There are no taxes when items are shipped intrastate. Doesn't this apply only if the store has no locations in your state? At least from what I've observed, ordering from Neiman Marcus or the Gap and having it delivered to a NJ address incurs no tax, but having it sent to a Georgia address rings up sales tax. I've bought things from Bergdorf/Barneys in-store only, so I've never tested this.
Quote: Messenger bags are too yuppyish. (My friend suggested a TUmI messenger bag but I thought it was too yuppyish and would not go with the grey slacks/pinstripe shirt/armani casual jacket look.) You're right in that bag options are limited for men, though the ones available have all the functionality you'd really need. However, messenger bags aren't all necessarily yuppie, just the big, blocky nylon or leather bag from Wilson's. However, bags like...
Quote: He also did a lot of work with the Talking Heads, who are also idols of mine. I went to a David Byrne show last week--it was incredible. His solo stuff was intriguing (though sometimes head-scratching), but when he busted out his Talking Heads stuff, the crowd exploded. Everyone went nuts over Psycho Killer, Once in a Lifetime and Road to Nowhere; they were dancing on top of their seats, hooting and singing along. Two-and-a-half hour show,...
I just tried it out on two broadcloth shirts. One was a medium blue with cream candy stripes that came out like a champ. The other was a plain sky-blue shirt that unfortunately now bears the sad, ghostly image of a pocket. I'm going to try washing it again and then ironing it to see if the pinholes will go away.