or Connect

Posts by Sevcom

The Earnest Sewn jeans have a little too much distressing for my taste. The Milk 3D Hutch jeans look more overdone than PDC GTO 3-years in their whiskering, and the Maze 3Ds have quite a bit more than GTO 1-years. Don't get me wrong: the quality of the jeans is top-notch, and we're not talking Diesel-type weird distressing. But it's still a little over-the-top. (That said, if they were the right price, I'd still snap up a pair.)
Quote: Note to Jim: I want to see partisan political commentary in GQ about as much as I want to open up The New Republic and see an article entitled "TNR's Top Ten Looks For Fall." Hey, let's not forget that Leon Wieseltier is the most stylish overeducated, cranky, erudite Brooklyn-based neoliberal literary critic around. He's gotta have some good sartorial suggestions. But I agree on the GQ commentary. I'll read political tracts in Esquire, sure,...
I still stand by the argument that Dems didn't lose because of morality. Note that 25 percent of voters indicated in exit polls support gay marriage, and 35 percent support civil unions. And Dems aren't going to win over any of that ambiguous 21 percent of 'moral issues' vote by tossing in more psalms in their speeches. They need to neutralize conservative moral issues like Clinton did in '92 with abortion ('safe, legal and rare') and the death penalty (Ricky...
Quote: 1) The last election shows that values are important to Americans while voting and shes not going to get that part of the vote. 2) Most people thought Kerry was too liberal and HRC's politics are substantially to the left of Kerry. 3) She's a woman. These three points will probably cost her 10 additional percent in the popular vote from what Kerry had. For now, I won't argue with number 3, if only because Liddy Dole was shut out early in the...
Quote: There is no way that the Republican base lets McCain, Giuliani, or Arnold come within sniffing distance of the nomination. Agreed. A Bill Frist or Sam Brownback would be more likely. As for Jeb ... I dunno if even hardcore GOPers can stomach yet another Bush so soon, even though he matches the base's sentiments even more than his brother does. And the Dems don't necessarily have a shallower bench, just a lesser known one. Ambulance Chaser...
Pinstripe suits? No. Pinstripe sweaters/overcoats? Possibly. Edit: Pinstripes in garish shades of lime green, bright yellow or fuschia are probably well past their shelf life.
Maybe one of the British members can answer this: Why do many, and I mean many, Brits button the bottom suit jacket? Note that this isn't the typically American mistake of buttoning all the jacket buttons; they'll button only the bottom of a 2-button jacket, or the bottom two of a 3-button. It doesn't matter if the jacket's from a suit or a sport coat, or if it's unvented/single-/side-vented. This was really perplexing when I was over there.
Quote: if you are going to go with cuff on no pleat pants, go 2.5-3 inch cuff. Dude, those are huge. Really, if you're going to wear flat-front pants, keep them uncuffed, and get your tailor to sew a strip of canvas at the bottom (on the inside, naturally) to add some weight. If you really must put cuffs on them, and this should be only if they're not slim, then get normal-sized cuffs.
I've been in NYC for about three months now, and while I've been finding all sorts of cool bars, I'm curious about other people's picks. I prefer dive bars: the atmosphere's laid-back; the juke box plays VU and the Clash; the drinks are on the cheap side; American jackasses and uptight B&T blondes (fake and otherwise) need not apply. Anyone know of good bars that fit the bill?
Quote: I wouldn't disagree with your assertion about the Massachusetts Supreme Court having an impact, they both had an impact but I think the symbolic nature of Newsome granting gay marriage rights and the TV coverage of long lines of gays going to get married stuck in the craw of Evangelical Christian voters who came out and made a statement that this wasn't going to happen in their country. The constant conservative outcry against liberal activist...