or Connect

Posts by Steve B.

40. Allegiant Veronica Roth 2013 The final book of the Divergent trilogy. Full of plots and counter plots, genetic impurity schemes, and lots of violence. Don't think I can say more without giving things away. Not as good as the other two books.
39. Bowdrie's Law 1983 Louis L'Amour Another collection of short stories featuring Chick Bowdrie, Texas Ranger. Got a hold of a definitive L'Amour list, and have a lot more left to read than I thought.
38. Insurgent 2012 Veronica Roth The continued adventures of Tris Prior and her maladjusted teens. One Faction is trying to mind control all the others, and the Faction system is crumbling, fast. There is a startling revelation at the end of the book, which I'm certain will be the lead-in to the new one. It's YA, but I'm hooked.
37. Bowdrie 1983 Louis L'Amour A compilation of short stories featuring Charles Bowdrie (Texas Ranger), originally published in pulp magazines in the late '40s. Fascinating stuff.
36. Riding for the Brand Louis L'Amour 1986 A collection of Western short stories. I enjoyed them.
Kawhi LeonardIsn't Mosgov 6" taller?
35. The Vice-Consul Marguerite Duras 1966 THE LIST Contains three primary characters. The first, a homeless girl who has been cast out by her mother for becoming pregnant out of wedlock, loses the baby through undernourishment, and becomes a mad, bald beggar. The second is the promiscuous wife of the French Ambassador in Calcutta, who seems prone to mortifying fits of tears, perhaps of self-loathing. The third is the Vice-Counsel of Lahore, who has lost his position...
34. Divergent Veronica Roth 2011 Takes place in a future dystopic Chicago. Society has been divided into Factions in order to avoid war and keep order. The heroine belongs to Abnegation (The Servers and Governors), and must, at 16, choose her new Faction. A "simulation" is administered to all young adults of this age to determine their aptitude for a new Faction. Our protagonist Beatrice tests for several different factions, which makes her a Divergent- a horrible secret...
Looking over the wrong shoulder, Matt.
33. Jealousy Alain Robbe- Grillet 1957 THE LIST A horrible, horrible book. Filled with repetitive minutiae and behaviors. It boggles my mind how some of this stuff winds up on Bonsal's list.