or Connect

Posts by Steve B.

RFX, chill man. I will monitor the situation more closely at your request.
I don't know how to ban a person from just a thread. I can give him a general time-out but I don't think what he said warrants this. I never gave Jet one even though he and I cross swords all the time. When they were winning, several of you guys "trolled" because the Lakers were good. I "troll" all the time about the Spurs, except lately because they've been having trouble winning games. I do wish idfnl were less negative, but he has his First Amendment rights just like...
Rare coincidence Sunday in that my 2 favorite teams are playing: Green Bay and Whoever is playing the Cowboys
5. Six Years Harlan Coben 2014 Hard to do a summary on this without giving it away. An unrequited love becomes requited over the space of-you guessed it-six years. One of the best mystery/thrillers I've read in a while. Highly Recommended.
They're rated #1 by ESPN this week.
4. The Strong Shall Live Louis L'Amour 1980 A collection of Western short stories. My favorite so far.
3. The Invention of Curried Sausage Uwe Timm 1993 LIST I know others have read this book and done summaries in the thread; I will be brief. A writer interviews an old woman to determine if she invented curried sausage in Hamburg in the 40s prior to the generally accepted belief of Berlin in the 50s. She has a plausible story claiming to be the inventor, and relates her war experiences during the interviews. These are the-er-meat of the book and are poignant and...
2. Bright Lights, Big City 1984 Jay McInerney LIST A twenty-something dissipates in Manhattan, struggling with an impending divorce and an unfulfilling job. He drowns himself in alcohol and cocaine to cope with his life, predictably loses his job, and doesn't move any closer to finding himself. The book ends with his realization of the true cause of his pain (his mother's recent death), and the reader is left with a sense that even with this knowledge he will never turn...
1. The Land of Hidden Men Edgar Rice Burroughs 1931 An American physician becomes lost in the jungles of Cambodia and stumbles upon an ancient Khmer civilization. He happens upon a delectable damsel in distress, and succors her with daunting deeds of derring-do. They fall for one another, then he finds out she is a Princess. This complicates matters, and he must fashion more fantastic feats to win her father's permission to marry her. A Tarzan knock off, but I liked...
Happy New Year and welcome, EnglishGent! It's not as hard as you might think...