or Connect

Posts by Steve B.

It's an even year. I'm WAY excited. But I see the D-Backs finishing ahead of the hated Dodgers, and giving us a run for our money.
Amen to that! I've heard Gravity's Rainbow is tough stuff. War and Peace at least was comprehend-able, albeit WAY too long.
Spurs are peaking at Pop time. But can they beat GS in San Antonio?
Some of the books on Bonsal's Top 1001 have just been awful. I slogged through them anyway in the vain hope I would finish The List. But I don't think I'll live to be that long; at last count I was at number 180 or so. Maybe after I finish the L'Amour and Connelly tomes I have in my sights to make 50. Might as well enjoy what I read.
35. City of Bones- Michael Connelly A human bone is dug up by a dog in Laurel Canyon. Most of the rest of the skeleton is found close to where the original bone was found and Bosch must make an ID and a case from a 20 year old murder. After many wrong turns and one incorrect confession he solves the case. During the course of the book he falls in love with a rookie, and the book finishes with him being promoted back to the elite downtown detective's division. There are a...
Russy got handcuffed tonight. Spurs ran a lot of people at him, but it was primarily Leonard. Great game.
34. Showdown at Yellow Butte- Louis L'Amour Novel expanded from short story of the same name I read a while back. The good parts were basically the same. The rest seemed like filler. A land grab scheme foiled by the hero. Who gets the girl. Above average but not great.
33. Darkness More Than Night- Michael Connelly Involves both Terry McCaleb and Harry Bosch. An LA Sheriff Detective from Blood Work has Terry look at an unusual ritual killing because of his background with serial killers at the FBI. His conclusions lead him to Bosch as the primary suspect. Ultimately they work together to solve the case and bring the real killer to justice.
32. Blood Work Michael Connelly Picked this one up because of an overlap with one of Connelly's other noir mysteries I'm reading. Terry McCaleb, a retired FBI agent with a recently transplanted heart is asked to solve a crime by the donor's sister. Against his doctor's vehement objections, he helps her and they solve the crime. Their work together causes them to fall in love. Great read, as I'm finding all of Connelly's books are.
31. Utah Blaine Louis L' Amour Interesting plot line and set of circumstances. The book opens with the lynching of a rancher by his foreman and a group of rapacious vigilantes. Blaine happens to be hidden close to the scene by chance, and is able to cut the rancher down and save his life. Utah then goes on to wage a one man war eliminating the perpetrators. He is successful, and wins the girl in the process. Really liked this one. Highly recommended, L'Amour's books...