or Connect

Posts by Steve B.

15. LaBrava Elmore Leonard 1983 LIST A thriller that somehow wound up on the storied 1001.Joe LaBrava, an ex-Secret Service agent catches a former movie star stealing a large sum of money. The book is written in South Beach and the local color is liberally sprinkled in the book's pages. There's even an interesting twist to the ending. Thumbs up. Say B...
14. Heller with a Gun Louis L'Amour 1955 A man is hired to guard a traveling minstrel show, After battles with Indians and the original guide, our hero triumphs. a supporting role to the elements.
13. Perfume Patrick Suskind 1986 LIST A dark and sinister young man becomes a perfume maker although he has no odor of his own but has the finest nose in all of France. He sets about making the perfect perfume, but has to kill 25 young women to do it. An excellent book. Movie in the mid 00s which I thought was equally good.
I want to watch Peyton Manning choke in another big game.
12. Matagordo 1967 Louis L'Amour A man rides into a Texas town to meet a friend from the Civil War. They plan to make money by driving cattle to Kansas. Problem is the gentleman has walked into a full-blown feud. He becomes involved reluctantly. Bad guys lose, good guys win, and our hero gets the girl.
11. The Mountain Valley War Louis L'Amour 1978 Yet another range war involving a gun fighter hiding under another identity. A rancher trying to boot the "nesters" off their land. The hero wins 2 knock down dragout fights, the war, and the girl.
10. Sexing the Cherry Jeanette Winterston 1989 LIST I struggled with this one. Much of it was written in London in the 1600s. Present day England was also woven through the book' as well as some metaphysics. The book was awful.
Awesome. Just awesome.
9. Kiowa Trail 1966 Louis L'Amour A war breaks out between cattle hands and ex-soldiers determined to keep them out. The battle is fierce but the good guys win. And the best guy gets the girl.
8. Junky William S. Burroughs 1953 LIST The quintessential biography of a heroin addict. I liked it.