or Connect

Posts by BellisVintage

What are you top 10/15 stylish films - by this I mean movies with beautiful (and often iconic) costume, elegant sets, witty dialogue and great acting. You rarely find all of these things in one film but here is my list (with accompanying YT videos where relevant) of some that fall under the title "Stylish", in no particular order: * Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky (2009)         - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntm4H6s2HO0 * The English Patient (1996)      ...
  This film is a modern masterpiece of Cinema and for me the best movie from this years Cannes Film Festival. Luca Bigazzi's cinematography is beautiful, with elegant tracking shots of Rome that draw the viewer into the loveliness of Jep's world (even if age and experience seems to have robbed him of the ability to feel and see this great beauty himself).   The enchanting score of choral works give depth to the wonderful images of Rome. The haunting soundtrack...
 The meeting of Gustav Mahler's music and Luchino Visconti's imagery is simply magical. Together they infuse such deep emotion into the film Death in Venice that the viewer is incapable of not feeling the melancholic beauty Dirk Bogarde's character faces. Enjoy 
  Sprezzatura is a certain nonchalance, so as to conceal all art and make whatever one does or says appear to be without effort and almost without any thought about it. In cinema is has been captured beautifully by directors such as Anthony Minghella, Federico Fellini and Tom Ford who were/are all strongly influenced by Italy where Sprezzatura originates.    For me it is an effortless mastery of ones own style, a studied carelessness that veils the work needed...
  Day Lewis is arguably the greatest living actor in the world today and his body of work is chosen carefully. Nine (2009) was a departure from the usual deeply dramatic roles to something lighter. Many have called it an aberration from the norml and a lessening in quality, but I like the fact that he is trying something totally different and I think it works. This clip shows not only the comic versatility of Day Lewis but also the beauty of Roma and the coastal...
  Cracks is a sublime sartorial journey through the 1930s carried off with a touch of the bohemian by the lead actress, Eva Green.  All the styles are there - loose frock coats, pencil skirts, silk headscarves, caps and cloche hats, wide legged, high waistband trousers and the English twist on the 1930s - floral floaty dresses.     Eva Green, with her own exotic background, has been well cast in the role - playing the part of the colourful tutor amidst a sea of...
  Katherine & Almásy from The English Patient (1996).  Perhaps the most intense and moving love story depicted on film in the 20th century.  Excellent casting by the director, the relationship between Kristen Scott Thomas and Ralph Fiennes is both convincing and compelling.    Combine this with a beautiful landscape, in both the desert scenes and Tuscany, an elegant flair in the 1930s costume and a haunting and moving soundtrack by Gabriel Yared and you have a...
  Habana - a city maintaining pride during times of adversity. In amongst the crumbling facades of beautiful, elegant buildings one can see a determination by the Cuban people to retain a unique style and panache for living. Perhaps a country that could teach something to others - making culture (in the form of ballet and music) a priority and available to everyone. Proving that even during difficult times one can still live a life with flair and swagger. 
  Love this scene - very romantic and beautifully composed.
  I am a lover of French Style and those movies of the 60s that highlight the beauty of French Femininity.   This thread is to share your favourite iconic French movies and their style. But also to talk of French Femininity as portrayed in Film and whether Femininity is now lost in modern society (are women now more masculine in thought and behaviour meaning men can not recognise the feminine)?   My video tries to show both classic French New Wave cinema...