or Connect

Posts by rainwater

I just received a nice pair of sueded, tasseled slip ons from yoox for about $70.00. They are beautiful and comfortable, which fitting is very difficult for my foot. I walk around a bit when I go out, so I had the thin rubber soles fitted with sole protectors. I would never pay full price for these shoes, but they are the nicest shoes I've ever had for less than $100.00, and my wife says they are beautiful on. They will go casual or dressed up for me. I like suede...
What a great thread.  I really appreciate all the photos.  I'm taking the title literally, and right now; 8:18 a.m. I'm wearing.   1) house shoes "Isotoner" with white socks. It's cold outside.  My wife bought them. 2) Navy blue chinos.  NOT permanent press.  Austin clothing @ $15.00. 3) Pea marle lambswool turtleneck sweater, tucked in under light brown suspenders. 4) I wore this at 6:30 a.m. under an Orvis weatherproof breaker topped with a brown tweed...
In the early 70's, my girlfriend opened one of the first high end resale shops in Houston.   I had hair to my waist and I wore wool gabardine pleated trousers, some cool point lapel double breasted jackets, and had an awesome collection of vintage silk crepe beach shirts.  Led Zepplin came to the shop once in a limo.   It was pretty cool.  Really great resale was a little more accessible back then.  Most these clothes were from the 40's.  I'm so not happy I let this...
In the early 70's, my girlfriend opened one of the first high end resale shops in Houston.   I had hair to my waist and I wore wool gabardine pleated trousers, some cool point lapel double breasted jackets, and had an awesome collection of vintage silk crepe beach shirts.  Led Zepplin came to the shop once in a limo.   It was pretty cool.  Really great resale was a little more accessible back then.  Most these clothes were from the 40's.  I'm so not happy I let this...
The first action I make when trying on a suit is button it.  As far as I'm concerned, there should be no pull on the button that is buttoned, but it should be snug.  The next action is putting my elbows together extended in front of me.  The jacket may rise but not pull against me.  I don't know how to describe this......I'm 61 years, but active and can wear slim cut jeans.  I could play table tennis in my sport coats and suits, but they look fitted for me.....I try...
This was going to be my next question.  I found a store near plush executive condos where a friend of my wife lives.  The place is "Q Custom Clothier".  I wouldn't say the clothes are "bespoke", but rather "custom".  You chose fabric and style.  They take 30 or 40 measurements.  They send the fabric to their tailors and you receive a suit in about 6 to 8 weeks.  The least expensive suit can be had for around $1700.00, but it escalates quickly with different grades of...
Thank you for the reply and information.  I visited a custom suit and shirt maker (Q Custom Clothier) and they had the designer wools and fabrics you mentioned.  They also had a great assortment of other brand names which seemed to be great quality.  I learned something that was useful.
I've been googling info about wool grades, and it is a little confusing. Generalization:  higher super 100s wool (which I assume comes from merino worsted wool-correct me please) are more delicate but nicer to the hand the higher the super 100 wool is. What if a suit just says "Merino Wool"?  Could it be a good suit that is durable and dependable with continued use?  What if the suit is "Merino or Lambswool", but not worsted? The combinations: ...
I like them.....I like my shoes fairly simple; these shoes go right to the line without going over.  I personally don't like wingtips, but these are beautiful shoes...I think they will age and wear well.....Always, my first consideration is how they fit.....when I first put on a pair of shoes or boots, I have to feel I can  walk all day in them without discomfort....then I usually buy them.  I like the double stitching....they would look incomplete with single...
Maybe BB has some higher end stuff I'm not aware of......many of the labels in BB were Central America, China, etc.......similar to JAB.......my jibe is that I don't notice much quality difference in BB over JAB......One consumer finds JAB catering to the larger client....my experience is just the opposite......JAB has some cheaper lines.....but my nice suits, jackets, slacks, shirts compare perfectly with BB......like I said....I saw the same sad wrinkle resistent ...