or Connect

Posts by Roger

Quote: Originally Posted by nmoraitis Thanks all. Roger, unfortunately I live near Toronto, so there is nowhere near that I can try Vass shoes on. I never have any problems fitting into an american D. I was looking at the Old English or the Oxford Medallion, so I had the same thoughts as you mention how tightness with a balmoral. On my 337's (Weymouths), I have about a good 1/2 inch space at the top of the vamp (or whatever the top part is called...
Those are just beautiful. Is that the antique burgundy finish? (My monitor doesn't do color very well.)
The rule-of-thumb is that you should have the belt relatively snug (but not too snug) with the buckle prong in the middle hole. Most belts have 5 holes, so you want the fit just right with the prong in the third hole. This looks best and also gives you some leeway for weight gain and loss. I've found that a 5-lb. weight change results in about a 1-inch change in my belts--i.e., having to go to the next hole in the belt (since the holes are 1-in. apart). Any belt...
Quote: Originally Posted by nmoraitis I see. I always have some wiggle room on the 337, but I do have a high arch. Would this have any impact on the width? The impact of a high arch will be much greater if you are planning on one of the Vass balmorals than if you are looking at bluchers, where it shouldn't have nearly as much impact.
Agree with Aportnoy. That size sounds right for you. I'd wear an 8.5 C&J in the 337 last, and a 42.5 Euro is exactly right for me with the Vass U-last. But heed Cantabrigian's advice re width of Vass U-last shoes. In the overall scheme of things, the U-last would not be seen as a really narrow last, but it is the narrowest of the Vass lasts. If you find a US D-width a little tight, the U-last will probably not work for you. Can you try on a pair in NYC at...
http://cgi.ebay.com/678-STUARTS-CHOI...QQcmdZViewItem Almost certainly not EG (as seller maintains), but instead Grenson Masterpieces. Still nice shoes, although the 4-eyelet lacing strikes me as slightly off for shoes like this. The example the seller gives in current Paul Stuart stock as similar (and selling for $678) is really a different shoe--a 5-eyelet wholecut. Seller is right, I think, in stating that the 9D sizing is in the US system.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Rare-John-Lo...QQcmdZViewItem These are marked 9 UK (width E), a length that fits me well with most English shoes. However, the one pair of Lobbs I have on the 7000 last are fully large enough in an 8.5UK. Since I'm pretty close to a true 9.5 US, I'd suggest that these would be too long for others in this size. You'll need to be all of a 10 US (and maybe a tad larger) for these to fit well. That said, beautiful shoes and, although...
http://cgi.ebay.com/John-Lobb-Shoes-...QQcmdZViewItem Someone recently mentioned an interest in the Lopez model. These would fit more like standard 9.5Ds, I think, than like 9s, as the seller suggests. And from the same seller: http://cgi.ebay.com/John-Lobb-Shoes-...QQcmdZViewItem This is a shoe I really like--sort of the J Lobb version of the EG Dover, I guess, albeit with a slightly longer, Westonesque toe. Size probably about a US 9E.
Is there any fabric left in the leg seams that would allow the pants to be let out--in width--slightly? If they could be made even 1/2" wider at the cuff (and for balance, this would probably also be required at the knee)--and perhaps also slightly lengthened, you might be able to get your cuffs to hang more normally over your shoes. (A 1/2" width increase means a 1" diameter increase.) By the way, pants will always be slightly tapered (or almost always). Thus, it's...
Quote: Originally Posted by bengal-stripe Roger - don't worry! You are my nominee for this years "Josepidal- Prize" (for doggedly persistence). Actually, Bengal-stripe, I had expected you to help clarify this issue since I believe it was a post by you maybe a year or two back--and on this forum or the AAAC one--that provided for me the insights about letters indicating width-fitting and their indexing of volume, rather than merely width, along...