or Connect

Posts by Roger

LabelKing, do you mean a true substitute for gold--like lacquered brass--or are you including gold-plating as well? As you know better than I do there are a number of grades of gold "plating," using that term most generally, beginning with the gold "wash" that is probably .05 micron thick, to 5-10 micron plating, up to thicker vermeil (that can go up to about 20 microns), up to what used to be called "gold-filled," and was even thicker. Some Omegas (I have one) have...
Good advice above. I'd go one step further and suggest that you absolutely not spray your shoes for protection from the elements. Most sprays contain silicone as the key water repellant, and silicone is just very bad for the leather of dress and casual shoes. These sprays are designed to be used with hiking/hunting boots, where the leather is not finely-finished as it is on shoes and dress boots. The sprays designed for suede are fine (noted by Siggy), and I'd...
Quote: Originally Posted by grimslade They are AS. 99.44% sure. I'm sure you're right. What gave me pause and made me think of the possibility of Church's was the "107" written inside (as noted earlier). I surmised that might refer to a Church's last number. I hadn't heard of a 107 last for Church's, but they do have last numbers 100, 103, and 108. I wondered whether they also had a 107 or whether, perhaps, this was a special last for BB--in...
They're still on sale (at $199; possibly free shipping for those of you in the US), and I just received a pair. Let me share a few thoughts about them. First, I'm very pleasantly surprised by the apparent quality of the shoes--solid Goodyear-welted, nicely finished, with some attention to detail--careful stitching, grommet reinforcement in the bottom of the eyelets (not visible from the top), and an overall well-made appearance. Second, someone a few posts back...
I know that this, strictly speaking, falls outside our mandate, but I couldn't resist posting it! Well, it is about clothes, mods. A buddy sent it to me (I swear).... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...40#description
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt I am going to go with what Ed Morel has said many times and suggest that RTW with alterations is usually just as good, and often better. I am not sure that being able to select your own fabric is much of a benefit to most MTM customers, and often it is a disadvantage to those who most perceive it as a benefit. Fair enough again. Opinions vary. Would you see things this way for shirts and trousers too, or...
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt I mean two things. First, there are only so many changes that can be made of a stock pattern, and they can only be made simply. There is little room for the art of tailoring when you are starting from a block. Second, the process of fitting and refitting, pulling and tugging and shaping is what makes for the difference. It is a dynamic process while MTM is invariably static. The same goes for shirts and pants,...
Quote: Originally Posted by mafoofan Not so. A lot depends on how well your measurer is able to comunicate modifications to the maker. He's got to know what will likely happen when he manipulates a particular measurement of a particular pattern by a particular degree. Thus, a salesperson who has experience dealing with a specific maker may be able to do a lot better than a tailor, even one that is generally competant. I'm not sure I fully agree...
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt I disagree. They simply cannot make the necessary changes. It is near impossible, IMO. Do you mean that an experienced tailor wouldn't be capable of taking the measurements precisely and expertly enough to render the completed MTM garment a better fit than a RTW garment? I'm not clear about what you mean by "the necessary changes." This thread seems to be concerned mainly with suits and jackets, and...
If it's all right, could we return to the original topic? Wouldn't the quality of MTM depend almost entirely on the skill of the person taking your measurements? If you go the MTM route with some line like Belvest or Isaia, for example, and are measured by a store sales person, I suspect you won't get a great garment. On the other hand, if they made a true tailor available for this, wouldn't you expect to be able to improve on RTW?