or Connect

Posts by Roger

Quote: Originally Posted by edmorel Not sure where all this is coming from but of course I care enough about clothes to post on an forum and have the occasional discussion on what is good/bad. I do not care so much as to have an ongoing multiyear "fued" about some meaningless issues and subject everyone on the forum to it. Taking a page from your book, if you do not like my comments in this thread, then do not read them and move on. 1. Where...
Quote: Originally Posted by edmorel There is no debate here and if you can't see that you are either blind or have not been around long enough. This is simply another installment in the "FNB thinks Manton is an insufferable twit/Manton thinks FNB is a stalking psycho" drama I'm well aware of the personal dynamics here. However, simply because such dynamics exist doesn't mean that the issues raised aren't worth considering...again. In addition,...
Quote: Originally Posted by edmorel Fine but this is easily one of the most boring threads ever, already. Even the penis jokes aren't funny in this one. If you're bored, move on to another thread. It's easy. Some of us like to consider ideas and see them debated....
Quote: Originally Posted by rjmaiorano ^^^ And that last link, of the small paisley; would that be considered a small paisley in a foulard pattern then? Good point. I'd think that a small paisley in a foulard pattern would be a reasonable description--at least as I understand these terms.
Well, I think that there's a little more to it than merely a fabric difference. (Actually, I wasn't aware of the fabric distinction here, but I'm not questioning it.) As I have seen the term "foulard" used, it references a pattern that is usually quite regular--something like rows of flowers, or of circles, or dots, etc. Here's an example from Sam Hober of what I would call a foulard: http://www.samhober.com/store/englis...-9-p17245.html A paisley pattern, on the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tarmac They do have some unusual offerings. I have a pair of 330 Mortimers and they are great. It seems like 330 is the "old" last for CJ handgrades, but Ben Silver requests it for their current shoes. I think it's a damn shame that the 330 last seems to have been phased out by C&J. I have three pairs of shoes on it--the Downing, Mortimer, and Lawrence models--and I really like it. In my opinion, it's a sleek last...
Lawman, yes the Albany is a Handgrade C&J on the 337 last. Although it looks a lot like the Westbourne--both being perf captoes with Adelaide throat and brogued heel counter--the latter is on the less-forgiving 348 last. The Albany would be a higher-quality shoe than the Westbourne.
No the burgundy wingtips are the Downing, on the 330 last. I bought a pair years ago because it was the only C&J wingtip I could get in burgundy. Ben Silver have sometimes offered C&J Handgrade shoes in colors not offered directly by C&J or by C&J suppliers like P Lal and Pediwear. They also occasionally offer C&J Handgrades in widths other than the ubiquitous D-width (US). I've been fortunate to pick up a pair of Mortimers (also 330 last) in C-width from them.
Quote: Originally Posted by Harry Lean Roger, do you still think a blake construction is a good shoe construction? H. Harry, I think it depends on the particular purpose you have for a pair of shoes. I wouldn't recommend a Blake-stitched shoe for heavy, workhorse, day-in-and-day-out wear. However, for less-frequent wear, and particularly when the weather is better, I really like Blake-constructed shoes. I might have mentioned a while back that...
Quote: Originally Posted by A Harris Ok then, Redenbach must be crap... I'm a little confused. For some reason, I've always assumed Vass used Rendenbach all along. Not true?