or Connect

Posts by Roger

Quote: Originally Posted by suited This is probably my favorite that I have... I hope that "G" is your initial, and not merely to advertise Gucci!
Quote: Originally Posted by LabelKing I like this ashtray: Gawd...you could probably sell it and retire (I'm assuming from your earlier posts that it's solid gold!).
I know this is straying somewhat from the OP, but here's a look I quite like--the mixing of gold and silver. In this case, the bezel is solid 18K gold. I think that the combination produces an attractive effect and makes the watch wearable with either gold or silver jewelry, belt buckles, etc. What do you all think?
Quote: Originally Posted by LabelKing Roger, In my initial post, I was mostly referring to any kind of imitative gold from gold-washes to vermeils to the heavy plating that Omega used to do. I think aside from the visual appearance, it is also a psychological thing. However, I don't think real gold can really be replicated in terms of hue or feel. It has a nice smooth feel to it especially if it's a well-made item. Interestingly, back in the...
LabelKing, do you mean a true substitute for gold--like lacquered brass--or are you including gold-plating as well? As you know better than I do there are a number of grades of gold "plating," using that term most generally, beginning with the gold "wash" that is probably .05 micron thick, to 5-10 micron plating, up to thicker vermeil (that can go up to about 20 microns), up to what used to be called "gold-filled," and was even thicker. Some Omegas (I have one) have...
Good advice above. I'd go one step further and suggest that you absolutely not spray your shoes for protection from the elements. Most sprays contain silicone as the key water repellant, and silicone is just very bad for the leather of dress and casual shoes. These sprays are designed to be used with hiking/hunting boots, where the leather is not finely-finished as it is on shoes and dress boots. The sprays designed for suede are fine (noted by Siggy), and I'd...
Quote: Originally Posted by grimslade They are AS. 99.44% sure. I'm sure you're right. What gave me pause and made me think of the possibility of Church's was the "107" written inside (as noted earlier). I surmised that might refer to a Church's last number. I hadn't heard of a 107 last for Church's, but they do have last numbers 100, 103, and 108. I wondered whether they also had a 107 or whether, perhaps, this was a special last for BB--in...
They're still on sale (at $199; possibly free shipping for those of you in the US), and I just received a pair. Let me share a few thoughts about them. First, I'm very pleasantly surprised by the apparent quality of the shoes--solid Goodyear-welted, nicely finished, with some attention to detail--careful stitching, grommet reinforcement in the bottom of the eyelets (not visible from the top), and an overall well-made appearance. Second, someone a few posts back...
I know that this, strictly speaking, falls outside our mandate, but I couldn't resist posting it! Well, it is about clothes, mods. A buddy sent it to me (I swear).... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...40#description
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt I am going to go with what Ed Morel has said many times and suggest that RTW with alterations is usually just as good, and often better. I am not sure that being able to select your own fabric is much of a benefit to most MTM customers, and often it is a disadvantage to those who most perceive it as a benefit. Fair enough again. Opinions vary. Would you see things this way for shirts and trousers too, or...