or Connect

Posts by Roger

Quote: Originally Posted by Flieger Dear Roger, It is the horological equivalent of a child predator stroking himself in public.. Dear Flieger, Get back on your meds....
Quote: Originally Posted by Flieger tasteless shit really... awful. yes sophisticated? no. You're kidding, right? If not, that's a completely over-the-top comment. That watch is neither tasteless nor awful. It's just not a dress watch. BTW, COSC chronometer standards are -4 sec. to +6 sec. per day. I agree that a watch with a chronograph function would be less than ideal for a dress watch, but can't see why a watch certified as a...
Foxx, this is an interesting watch, but clearly misses "dress watch" status on a number of points: (a) it's much too large at 45.5 mm. case diameter; (b) it has a black face (the ideal dress watch has a light-colored face), (c) it has a functional bezel with numbers on it, clearly indicating that it's not a dress watch, (d) it has a functional knob on the 9 o'clock side, and (e) it lacks the leather strap that is absolutely mandatory for a true dress watch.
That's some major alteration work! I've had Joy do a few smaller things, but haven't known whether to trust more substantial work to her--not because of any complaints about her work, but more because of her age and relative inexperience. I think it's impressive that she could take on de-pleating a pair of trousers. From the pictures, it looks as though she narrowed the shoulders somewhat, although it's hard to be absolutely sure about that as there is no 'after'...
Let me just add a little more to my take on this issue. I don't think that care of shoe linings is necessary or desirable every time we polish our shoes. However--as I now consider this more--once in a while still seems like a good idea--maybe once a year. By treating the lining leather with a conditioner, you are not introducing the kind of moisture that is problematic--water and perspiration. In other words, not all moisture is bad. If leather conditioner had the...
I've thought of doing that and think that it's an excellent idea. After all, the lining is exposed to wear too, and to the potentially-degrading effects of perspiration. I guess we don't do this much because we don't want to get conditioner on our socks, but I think that if you really rubbed it in and then removed all the excess carefully, by the time you wore the shoes again, very little, if any, residue would end up on the socks. I think I'll start doing this too. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett The shoes started out not badly scuffed at all, barely in need of a shine (it's shell, so it always looks pretty good). The woman helping me went to town on them. First a heavy-handed horsehair brushing, then toothbrush and water around the welt, then THREE separate complete coats of Lincoln wax (the last 2 with a spritz of water in the can first). My shoes are sparkling now. I can actually see my reflection in...
Yes, very nice, bengal-stripe. I might add one or two more observations. I tend to see plain cap-toes as essentially business shoes and don't wear them for more formal occasions, wearing instead a completely plain-toe balmoral. As we to down in formality to the semi-brogue (square cap with brogued medallion) and then to full brogue (wingtip) balmorals, my sense is that these are still fine with suits, and perhaps superior to the more formal balmorals with tweed and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Imakeyourshoes I think he meant the stitching around the toe instead of the welt, when the guy at work fits the sunken taps on our shoes he cuts into the channel and slices it off with a knife across the toe, as opposed to that french site showing it being scoured, which would take the stitches out for sure on welted, but when he does it at our place you can still see the stitches keeping it all together before he attaches the...
Quote: Originally Posted by voxsartoria The one issue with flush plates being retrofitted, rather than made with that in mind, is that the welt would have to be cut around the toe. Seems like a plus minus type of thing: you put the plate on to save the toe, but then you lose the welting to rely just on glue. I don't really see this. Surely the metal toe plates wouldn't be so thick as to require cutting up into the welt. My visualization of...