or Connect

Posts by Roger

Quote: Originally Posted by rjmaiorano ^^^ And that last link, of the small paisley; would that be considered a small paisley in a foulard pattern then? Good point. I'd think that a small paisley in a foulard pattern would be a reasonable description--at least as I understand these terms.
Well, I think that there's a little more to it than merely a fabric difference. (Actually, I wasn't aware of the fabric distinction here, but I'm not questioning it.) As I have seen the term "foulard" used, it references a pattern that is usually quite regular--something like rows of flowers, or of circles, or dots, etc. Here's an example from Sam Hober of what I would call a foulard: http://www.samhober.com/store/englis...-9-p17245.html A paisley pattern, on the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tarmac They do have some unusual offerings. I have a pair of 330 Mortimers and they are great. It seems like 330 is the "old" last for CJ handgrades, but Ben Silver requests it for their current shoes. I think it's a damn shame that the 330 last seems to have been phased out by C&J. I have three pairs of shoes on it--the Downing, Mortimer, and Lawrence models--and I really like it. In my opinion, it's a sleek last...
Lawman, yes the Albany is a Handgrade C&J on the 337 last. Although it looks a lot like the Westbourne--both being perf captoes with Adelaide throat and brogued heel counter--the latter is on the less-forgiving 348 last. The Albany would be a higher-quality shoe than the Westbourne.
No the burgundy wingtips are the Downing, on the 330 last. I bought a pair years ago because it was the only C&J wingtip I could get in burgundy. Ben Silver have sometimes offered C&J Handgrade shoes in colors not offered directly by C&J or by C&J suppliers like P Lal and Pediwear. They also occasionally offer C&J Handgrades in widths other than the ubiquitous D-width (US). I've been fortunate to pick up a pair of Mortimers (also 330 last) in C-width from them.
Quote: Originally Posted by Harry Lean Roger, do you still think a blake construction is a good shoe construction? H. Harry, I think it depends on the particular purpose you have for a pair of shoes. I wouldn't recommend a Blake-stitched shoe for heavy, workhorse, day-in-and-day-out wear. However, for less-frequent wear, and particularly when the weather is better, I really like Blake-constructed shoes. I might have mentioned a while back that...
Quote: Originally Posted by A Harris Ok then, Redenbach must be crap... I'm a little confused. For some reason, I've always assumed Vass used Rendenbach all along. Not true?
Those are from a high-end line of SM (close to $1K retail), and, thus, are a helluva deal for $300. Congratulations! I think that the same shoe is currently selling on STP for $600. Some don't like the "ghost," "hidden," or "reverse" (STPs term) stitching detail, but I do. I also really like the stitching detail you find on these SMs (and others in the same category) around the bottom of the uppers, just above the sole. I don't know whether it's true Norwegian...
I think that this was a good question, Jumbie, and I have two responses: 1. Could you get the seller to measure the shoulders carefully using the A. Harris method? It seems to me that your request could be worded in such a way that the seller considered it worthwhile (to him/her) to do this. On occasion, I've asked sellers to double-check some important measurement by indicating a solid interest in the garment, and they have done so. 2. A shoulder-width deviation...
Quote: Originally Posted by grimslade Dark grey. +10