or Connect

Posts by Roger

My experience with EG shoes is that they do stretch a little in time, with wear, but that doesn't help a lot while you're waiting for this to occur. My advice would be to take them to a good cobbler and have them gently stretched in the forefoot area that is tight. This is a very easy procedure and has always worked well for me. Good cobblers will put the shoes into a stretcher and leave them there for several days, gently increasing the tension at intervals along the...
We're talking about proper usage here, but, in fact, most shoe sellers in the US and Canada refer to almost any leather lace-up shoe as an "oxford." To my mind, the British usage is the more precise, referring to any close-facings lace-up as an oxford and open-facings lace-up as a derby. As noted earlier, the Brits have then created a special class of oxfords, balmorals, which have a seam running longitudinally under the lacing and along the quarters. As for wingtips,...
From a distance, kinda looks like a pocket full of flower petals. I can't see it working for me.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tarmac I did a casual search of SARB035 and I only see metal bracelets. Is there a leather strap version commonly available? SARB035 has a metal bracelet. I don't know whether the SARB series of 6R 15 watches has an equivalent with a leather strap. However, might the seller swap the bracelet for a high-end strap before shipping? At worst, I guess, you'd have to do it yourself, picking up a good leather strap from...
I'm no watch expert, but I do have a few random thoughts, in no particular order: 1. The SCVS013 is from the lower-priced Seiko Spirit line, whereas the SARB031 is more like the slightly higher-priced Alpinist line. Although not really apparent from the pictures, this fact likely suggests that the SARB031 is of slightly higher quality. 2. Seiya-sans' price on both is very good--running about 80% of typical retail on the watches. You could probably do a little...
I agree with the previous posts. I too have wondered about this, as belt leather dries out the same way that shoe leather does and needs some attention from time to time. I've come to the conclusion that the occasional application of cleaner/conditioner (like the ones from A-E and Meltonian, or Crema Alpina, Crema Nubiana, etc.) is the way to go. I'll give the belt an application, then give the conditioner lots of time to soak into the leather. After several hours,...
Wonderful, Marcell. Thanks for putting this up for us. I had a couple of questions that occurred to me as I was watching the addition of the outsole. After putting in a filling to the skivved-out sole and heel areas, the maker then stitches on (to the welt) what I thought was going to be the outsole. However, after that stage (at about 6:45 of the video), he applies glue and attaches another sole--obviously the actual outsole. Two questions: Is the first sole what we...
Just a quick query on the Carmina suedes: Doesn't the UK or Euro "EE" width designation indicate a slightly-wider-than-medium width? Maybe not with Carmina. Can you provide the inside length--toe to heel along the insole? If you had to choose, would you say they're closer to 9.5 or to 10?
FWIW, I'm not certain I'd go the MTM route with Joy--yet--unless it was with something like a shirt or trousers (which she might do quite well). I too have had her do quite a bit of work, but one incident gave me pause. I was having a Brunello Cucinelli corduroy jacket altered. Joy took in the shoulders, did the sleeves, etc. (and did a nice job), but didn't know how to take in the collar a little to make it lie flatter against the back of my neck. Just was stumped. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by jhao I just got a purple with paisleys PS, it's Etro, and I think it is from the last season = on sale right now, but it is loud. Where was it on sale?