or Connect

Posts by Roger

Those are from a high-end line of SM (close to $1K retail), and, thus, are a helluva deal for $300. Congratulations! I think that the same shoe is currently selling on STP for $600. Some don't like the "ghost," "hidden," or "reverse" (STPs term) stitching detail, but I do. I also really like the stitching detail you find on these SMs (and others in the same category) around the bottom of the uppers, just above the sole. I don't know whether it's true Norwegian...
I think that this was a good question, Jumbie, and I have two responses: 1. Could you get the seller to measure the shoulders carefully using the A. Harris method? It seems to me that your request could be worded in such a way that the seller considered it worthwhile (to him/her) to do this. On occasion, I've asked sellers to double-check some important measurement by indicating a solid interest in the garment, and they have done so. 2. A shoulder-width deviation...
Quote: Originally Posted by grimslade Dark grey. +10
Quote: Originally Posted by jcusey As do JL Paris and just about every English and Italian factory maker that I know about [use thermoplastic toe puffs]. The makers will say that synthetic toe puffs are better able to spring back from toe denting than leather ones. I don't know if this is true, but I can say that I've never had a problem with the toe puffs of any of my shoes breaking, losing shape, or deteriorating. I would presume that almost all of them...
Quote: Originally Posted by sebastophoros wood is the traditional material for rtw shanks. metal is used in low-cost shoes. metallic shanks break easier than wooden ones, but are cheaper. bespoke shoemakers make shanks of leather. So evidently nothing wrong with the shank--no poor materials there! Quote: Originally Posted by sebastophoros I used reiter's words : the "counter" is the hard piece of whatever, inserted between...
Quote: Originally Posted by Golgotha As it was commented on the dpec forum earlier today, we are of the opinion that while the craftsmanship is excellent, some of the underlying materials are unworthy of a traditional english shoe. Synthetic materials that yet may last for some ten years, are still much less noble in my nevrotic view. The only synthetic material that I saw in the translation (and perhaps other examples were missed in the...
Quote: Originally Posted by sebastophoros my technical english is a bit poor, but here's my summarised translation : As the tested shoe is a sub, the team did not mention the stains and irregularities of the upper calf. First part : the sole and the heel The heel was made of real layers of leather, and not a block of synthetic material like many shoes of the previous autopsies. Layers are put together with nails, and fixed to the sole with pegs. The...
Quote: Originally Posted by Geoff Gander If the price is closer to $336 (is that really what you paid??) then it's a no brainer and I'll be contacting Shyam straight away. They're listed as 1099 Malaysian Ringgits. This works out to about $336 US, or about $344 Cdn. Shipping might add another $25, but, of course, you'll pay that (or much more) from any online seller. So, about $369 Cdn. to your door. Now, if you get lucky on eBay and find a...
An interesting post, if for nothing other than the pictures. Geoff Gander, you do, of course, know of P Lal. There, you can buy this shoe for $336 US. You would be hard pressed to do any better price-wise. You might scout eBay for a few months and get lucky and find your size and color preference for a little less--like $285 or so from some seller like "Sausages," but with the greater shipping costs, you'll end up, at best, only $20-$25 ahead of P Lal. For $336, you...
On my MTM shirts, the shirtmaker gets it right, but on many RTW shirts, the shoulder seam is a little too far out for me. I quite like mafoofan's and Matt's sleeve/shoulder treatment and wonder whether a good RTW shirt can have the armholes brought in--narrowing the shoulder width and bringing the sleeves up onto the top outer edge of the shoulders. Suppose that the shirt is a little too large in the chest as well (often the case for me), so that there's extra material...