or Connect

Posts by MoneyWellSpent

While I don't know for sure either, I'd venture a guess that GY was employed in WWI. It wasn't really "in development" by that point. Rather, it had been in use for about 50 years when WWI started. Books on the mechanized shoe industry commonly date to the time around WWI, and some, as I recall, are even a bit earlier, published in the first decade of the 1900's. Goodyear and Blake being the main methods described in those sources...
I don't know for sure either. They do add heat and steam during lasting, but I wouldn't think that would be the culprit. They do that with calf too.The reason that shell is difficult to last is because it has a very low tensile strength. It is very abrasion resistant, making it great for footwear, but it's low tensile strength makes it prone to cracking when it is pulled on.I'd be more inclined to guess that what you see there was part of the original hide, and it became...
Then there is also the best made non-bespoke to consider in the equation... You named Vass, which is a great maker, but there are certainly nicer ones, and you'd still come out far cheaper than having 80 pairs of Alden's collecting dust.
Those numbers sound quite a bit higher than what I've read elsewhere. Usually the worst I've seen is about $6000 for your first pair, and then a couple thousand less for subsequent ones after the last is made.Also, price and quality aren't proportional in many cases. I'm sure Paris is pricier for other reasons besides the shoe quality.
I fully agree with that last sentence.But, I can't agree with the first one, unless we have vastly different views of what "versatile" means.In theory, a well dressed business man can get away with half a dozen dress shoes and have all his bases covered if he chooses them wisely.
The part about the out of control consumption is really worth emphasizing. There are plenty of people on SF with shoe collections worth as much as $30,000, and countless more that have well over $10,000. It's the insatiable desire to consume more pairs, than it is a desire for the best quality. Many here could have a realistic, versatile shoe cabinet of the finest shoes in the world, if they could tame their appetite for quantity, and have money to spare.
Yeah, I've know that the glen plaid is walking the line on being an odd jacket, and I know that this thread falls to the camp that it can't be. I don't think it's quite that cut and dry. I wear it as an odd jacket with more formal accessories, as can be seen in the picture. So I'm not trying to make it "country."The grey herringbone, however, is a "staple" odd jacket, no?
Meant to include this one earlier. Hopsack again, with linen/silk blend tie. Tie is a brown ground (with a little black), and the color in the pattern that looks purple is actually a light blue that doesn't photograph well.
I would have thought the shirt in #1 would be fine in a blazer context. Certainly not with a suit.
Thanks for the feedback. Fully agree on the shirt with the tweed being inappropriate. For what it's worth, that's the only photo that didn't make it out of the house. I changed out of it in favor of the shirt in #2 as I recall, but didn't retake the photo.No satin ties in my closet, just the lighting. #1 is cotton flannel herringbone, #2 is linen, #3 is linen, #4 is silk, #5 is ancient madder, #6 is 50/50 wool/silk, #7 is silk basket-weave (hard to see), #8 is wool,...