or Connect

Posts by MoneyWellSpent

Ah, so they are Goodyear then.  From the photo, the bottom of the boot looked more like a Logger boot construction with the double row of stitching and the nails, which would be what I'm interested in.  So what would the insoles have been made from back in the 60's, if not leather?  Was foam advanced enough to be used for insoles?  Fiberboard?  Seems like that wouldn't have passed military specs. 
 Wow, those are surprisingly low cost.  I've never seen these.  Thanks for the reference.  Can you explain their construction? 
 Can you point me to your source?  Their website doesn't seem to indicate this.  I just see the current method diagrammed on their website.
   True indeed. What I would really like is a pair of insulated, Gore-Tex lined, Smoke Jumpers or Logger boots, made entirely of leather (other than the outsole and Gore-Tex liner).  Perhaps something from White's or Nick's Boots.
 For all these reasons, I don't purchase Goodyear-welted footwear that will be in an environment that seldom sees carpet.  As much as I would love to purchase a hand-welted pair of boots for hard use (I'm a hunter), I haven't been able to justify the price at my stage of life.  But, I would never throw a pair of Goodyear-welted boots into the muck I traipse through. I think they would fall apart within one or two seasons. For now, I'm stuck wearing fully modern boots with...
 I suspect it goes back to the "hell-bent" on tradition side of things, but I don't really know.  Since they offer both, they could probably offer some opinion on which method is better, assuming they keep track of what they see in their re-crafting department.   
 Good to know, I'll look them up.
 I would suspect that it is easier to repair small sections that are damaged using the current method, since they could just re-glue it.  I don't know how they would deal with small torn sections in the old method.  I suspect they would feel the need to replace the insole sooner.  However, for larger sections of damage, I think they replace the insole even in the current method rather than trying to reattach new gemming due to the way that the machine works.  It's simply...
   Carmina certainly doesn't use the original Goodyear-welting technique of cutting and turning the leather and reinforcing with canvas.  They use the standard canvas rib cemented to the insole.  JM Weston is the only company I know of that still uses the original method, though I read recently that Church's retained their machinery to perform this technique as a "fall-back" for when the current method wasn't available.  Whatever that means.   Also, JM Weston uses both...
 They look great!  Glad to see they took care of you.