or Connect

Posts by MoneyWellSpent

Hacker-Pschorr Hubertus Bock tonight.  
 Very interesting.
 Are these soles just cemented on with only the toes stitched to the welt?
  A tongue pad should make your problem worse, not better.  Tongue pads push your foot back towards the heel cup, which will increase the distance your toes are from the front of the shoe.  You would be better off putting in a heel pad to push your foot forward. 
So did AE eliminate the $10 restocking fee for returned shoes?  http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/ShippingAndReturnsView?catalogId=40000000001&langId=-1&storeId=1   That will make a lot of people happy.
 Yes, there is still cork underneath the insole in Independence collection shoes.  The difference is that there is a leather lined foam sock liner inserted on top of the leather insole.  If you find the traditional insole to be uncomfortable, then you may enjoy it.
 Yes, that's the only way to make them flush. Flush taps are better for biomechanical reasons, but they aren't without a degree of risk to the shoe.  They can damage the shoe if they aren't installed properly.  It doesn't happen often, but it's still possible.  I would trust B. Nelson to do it more than any other cobbler, for what it's worth. 
 This is 100% normal.  You have simply worn a hole in your 1st layer of your double sole.  You are seeing the next layer of leather underneath.  All shoes will reach this point eventually.  They just need new soles.  Fortunately for double soles, a hole in the first layer of leather doesn't constitute the need for an immediate/urgent resole like a single sole does.  Just get them resoled when you can.  No, toe taps won't help.  Shoes wear this way with normal walking and...
   Yes, this is normal toe wear.  This varies depending upon your gait, and how well the shoes are broken in indoors before being worn on abrasive surfaces.  Thoroughly breaking them in indoors on soft/smooth surfaces will help cut down on it to a degree, but the toes will still round off to an extent as they adapt to your personal gait.  The soles are stitched on using a lock stitch as mdubs said above.  Here is a diagram showing the technique if you are interested:  You...
 Oh, I don't consider it a mess. Like I originally said, it's more just a case of "don't shoot the messenger."  I just regurgitated what AE stated in their marketing of the shoes and mixed it with applicable shoe knowledge.  If there is a discrepancy, it's not on me to justify it.  The facts are what they are.  It's always possible that they changed the way they manufacture the shoes as well.  I really don't know.  What I do know is that what we see in some of the photos...