or Connect

Posts by MoneyWellSpent

I agree that they should harmonize with the shoes in traditional men's dress rules, and I do the same. However, in Ivy/Trad, this isn't as closely adhered to. Ribbon belts, Surcingle belts, etc., frequently don't and even can't match the shoes. Therefore, one can't be dogmatic in this arena of style due to the high variance of colors.Interestingly, there was an article on Real Men Real Style recently that challenged the tradition of matching the shoes, and instead says...
Interesting. Based on what line of thinking?
On the other hand, one could argue that the belt harmonizes perfectly by combining colors from the pants and the welt on the shoes, so it actually does match while not drawing too much attention to itself in an otherwise bright outfit. I think a white belt here may become a focal point towards your midsection, and "cut you in half." Instead, it comfortably sinks into the background.
I wouldn't wear it.
^^^ I probably should have added that there isn't anything wrong with that, if it is one's style, but it just doesn't fit into any of my preconceived "Trad" categories.
Id have to go with the second one. No offense, but that blue hat kinda looks like something you would see on a rap or pop artist.
@Caustic Man Put This On posted an article today on how useful are navy trousers. It made me think of our conversation on the "northern lights" effect. Good info, and good to see some support for the idea that they can be pulled off if done with consideration.
Wheat colored slubby herringbone jacket of wool/linen/silk blend. Cotton OCBD, and linen tie in a navy/off white hounds tooth.
Every trad wardrobe has room for navy blazers, blue striped OCBD's, and crested ties. No matter what part of the country you are in.
Here are a few more where I've used the same strategy, all with the same jacket: Olive trousers: Brown trousers: Navy trousers: Navy trousers It may not be for everybody, but I have always felt that these examples work well. I'm certainly familiar with the SF aversion to navy odd trousers, but I personally don't subscribe to the issue with cotton. I see it with wool for sure. On the contrast discussion, relating to the face, and drawing attention upward... ...